Annie Diamond
Annie Diamond
  • New Canaan, CT

DIY Pegboard

$90

A DIY pegboard that can be used in any room in the house. Add shelves to hold plants, books, souvenierus or anything your heart desires. We created this for a wall in the bathroom, but it would be great in a kids room, a kitchen or above a desk.

diy pegboard

We created this pegboard for a wall at the end of the tub in our all white bathroom. The bathroom needed some warmth and life and a plywood pegboard to hold plants was just the thing.

diy pegboard

This can be made in any size using good quality plywood, wooden dowels and a few tools.

diy pegboard

Once you decide on the size of the overall pegboard, determine the distance between each hole. We drew a grid and at each intersection, we drilled a hole. Before drilling, I used a craft punch and black construction paper to see if the overall look is what I wanted. It gave us a good idea of the spacing and the border. This step is not necessary, but helpful before you go to the trouble of making the holes.

diy pegboard

Once we determined the length of the dowels (based on the depth of the shelves), we sprayed them with Varathane. We mounted them using putty that we had on hand. You could probably use double stick tape as well.

diy pegboard

After spraying the surface with Varathane, we took very fine grit sandpaper and went over the surface to get a smooth finish.

diy pegboard

We grabbed some plants and played around with placing the pegs and shelves. We added a single peg to hold a macrame hanging plant holder to balance it out. They can be rearranged at any time, but we are happy with how it tuned out!

Annie Diamond

• Jim Laughner

That looks fantastic. We have a fiberglass shower and tub "enclosure", but there is a perfect spot on a different wall that only has a clock on it. It's screaming for something like this.

How do you water the plants on the upper shelves? (Especially the one in the far corner).

• Deborah Lippincott

How do you keep the shelves on the dowels?

wont they roll off?

otherwise handy

• Paula

What kind of cutting tool do I use?

• Amy Wadsworth

I love this! I can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing this amazing project!

• Jackson
    2 hours ago

Hello from Germany. This is the perfect ! THE PERFECT part for my bathroom. I already got the material the moment I saw this - now I do not have the time... But weekend is coming.. It is a great idea. Thank you for sharing it