DIY Pegboard

$90

A DIY pegboard that can be used in any room in the house. Add shelves to hold plants, books, souvenierus or anything your heart desires. We created this for a wall in the bathroom, but it would be great in a kids room, a kitchen or above a desk.

We created this pegboard for a wall at the end of the tub in our all white bathroom. The bathroom needed some warmth and life and a plywood pegboard to hold plants was just the thing.

This can be made in any size using good quality plywood, wooden dowels and a few tools.

Once you decide on the size of the overall pegboard, determine the distance between each hole. We drew a grid and at each intersection, we drilled a hole. Before drilling, I used a craft punch and black construction paper to see if the overall look is what I wanted. It gave us a good idea of the spacing and the border. This step is not necessary, but helpful before you go to the trouble of making the holes.

Once we determined the length of the dowels (based on the depth of the shelves), we sprayed them with Varathane. We mounted them using putty that we had on hand. You could probably use double stick tape as well.

After spraying the surface with Varathane, we took very fine grit sandpaper and went over the surface to get a smooth finish.

We grabbed some plants and played around with placing the pegs and shelves. We added a single peg to hold a macrame hanging plant holder to balance it out. They can be rearranged at any time, but we are happy with how it tuned out!

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Annie Diamond

• Kgaletin

I love this project. Do you just "rest" the boards on the pegs? I'm worried that if this is the case, a shelf could get knocked off. Is there a way to "fix" the shelves to the pegs?

• My caren

I too am wondering how you would hang this. It is beautiful and I would love to make this but worried about the weight. The plywood alone is very heavy and once you put plants etc on the shelves the weight on the walls would be a lot. So I really need to know how you secured this to the wall before I begin this project. I love it!

• Teresa

i May have missed it. How big is the board cut? Now I will go back and see if I missed it. Possible LOL

• Renata

This is kool. I will make one of these just for shitz n giggles.

• Gibbie Forgy

I have always like the pegboard concept, but the original looks too industrial for me. Your project is much sleeker and decorative. Thanks for the idea.

• Annie Diamond

Thanks!! I agree! I think this has a more Scandinavian look over industrial.