Steffi Wood
Steffi Wood
  • Milledgeville, GA

DIY Backyard Swing

$350
Advanced

My husband really wanted a swing for us to use while the kids ran outside. So, I caved and told him to go for it! He’s a contractor, so he definitely has a lot of experience to whip up something like this in a day! He went to a local lawn care store and bought the actual swing. They can also be ordered online. They usually run around $200. Then he went to Lowes to get two 12 foot 6x6 posts and a 10 foot 2x12 boards (for the top part-to hang the swing on), chains to hang the swing, and a ton of 3 inch decking screws, and cement. He dug the holes to put the 6x6 posts with post hole diggers (he owns some through his business). He dug 32 inches in the ground and put the posts in and then added cement/water to make it more sturdy. Once he had the posts in, he added the top post (2x12’s-he cut the edges to give it a fancier look). He put blocks up there to hold the swing. He then screwed in metal hooks to hold the chains for the swing. Once he had all that done, he hung the swing. We absolutely love it and use it a lot when the kids are playing outside. Take a look!

dyi backyard swing

My 5 year old wanted to help assemble the swing.

dyi backyard swing

Here are the two 12 feet 6x6 posts up and as you can see the cement poured into the hole after he put the posts in

dyi backyard swing

Now Jordan is adding the 12 foot 2x10 posts (he trimmed the sides to give it more dimension).

dyi backyard swing

And my 3 year old wanted to get inside the 32 inch deep holes where the posts went.

dyi backyard swing

He then added the block, and chains and added the swing.

dyi backyard swing

Finished product.

• Susan

You missed an important part of the details. What is holding up the swing chair?

• Susan

I see ten foot 2x12, and 12 foot 2x10. One place it looks like you buy 1 but then use 2. Do you buy the blocks the swing hangs from (if so what size) or are the blocks made from the excess two feet of 12 foot 2x10?

• Cathy Smith
    3 hours ago

How many blocks did he use between the two top pieces? And what size are the blocks?

• Dee
    10 hours ago

OOOO POOH!!! I have wanted a swing for years! They are just too expensive!!!

Can I borrow your adorable husband?! lol, I'll bring him back as soon as my swing is finished.!!! just joking...unless u r gonna do it! Great Job, yall look very happy!ENJOY!!

• Margie Hood
    10 minutes ago

I love it...I could use this idea and even add something so ive could grow and hang some flowers on it..oh I bet you have by now to....