How can I remove black marker from finished & glossy hardwood floors?

+5

I’m heartbroken that my toddler granddaughter ruined my dining room floors with a black marker. The marks are horrible. I’ve tried toothpaste, Dawn, alcohol and finally, nail polish remover. Nothing is doing the trick and I’m afraid of causing even more damage. Any other suggestions? Please?

• Cathy Cathy on Aug 13, 2019

Try Lestoil. My nephew did the same to my brand new sofa years ago, and Lestoil was the only thing that worked.

• Pat Pat on Aug 13, 2019

How about Fantastik liquid cleaner? Some has bleach and some does not.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Aug 13, 2019

Hello. Could you possibly call the marker manufacturer and see if they have any tips? This effort could prevent unintended further harm to the floor.

• I've heard that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works. I've also heard that wd-40 oil might do the trick, too.

• T R T R on Aug 14, 2019

Did you try regular toothpaste - this article says the gel one won't work: https://www.hometalk.com/43268238/removing-tough-and-odd-stains.

Good luck!

• Ethel Holland Ethel Holland on Aug 14, 2019

I can’t tell you all how very grateful I am to you!

Yes! It’s gone. All traces of the marker are gone! I saw a YouTube video that specified the use of Arm and Hammer Toothpaste.

So, as TR said, my gel Colgate didn’t help. The baking soda toothpaste encouraged me as it lifted the stain pretty well. I had my son finish it off with the Mr. Clean eraser (thanks Kim  )

The suggestion Vimarhonor made to call the company was going to be my next step and I’m embarrassed that I didn’t think of it myself.

Pat and Cathy, I haven’t bought Lestoil or Fantastik in years, but I’m putting it on my shopping list for other soiled stuff. This has taught me a lesson...Markers are OUT OF GRAM’S HOUSE!

I love this forum. You are such resourceful folks and I appreciate you all.

Thanks to everyone!

i used toothpaste followed by the magic eraser.

i love this forum of helpful folks!

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 12, 2021

I have removed Marker pen from many things using Surgical Spirit!