Asked on Aug 14, 2019

What can I put in front of this window to guard it from my dog?

FlipturnBonnie Marcum PlumleeDee
+10

Something to be in the way of my dog from having full access to it. I currently am afraid to take my Christmas tree down lol as it is blocking it

• Shore grandmom

How about a chair and small table with a lamp. Looks like a nice place to sit and relax.

• DesertRose

Any furniture like a place to sit whether a chair or couch would block it. Also a t.v., lamp and table, or entertainment center. I would put a table and lamp in front of it if I did not have a sofa table or entertainment center. Hope this helps, Lisa.

• And I would also look into dog training. What you can do until you get him or her trained, would be to raise the blinds enough so that he or she could see outside without damaging the blinds. Then you don't need to block the window.

• Swinnen Lisette

Can yout tell us something more about your problem? Are you afraid your dog will scratch the window? Are you keeping the blinds down because the dog is going all barky if he sees something outside? I think you can buy one of those windows adhesives to make the window non-see through for 3/4 of the hight.

If he cannot see anything anymore, il will lose interest in that window.

• Rozmund

Most Dog do not like the smell of citrus fruit..so any furniture arrangement would be safe from Fido taking it over if you have a mister with Orange, and Lemon Essential Oils filling the air ... good for us as well..

• Itsmemic

I have a shepherd that will literally dive threw windows to get to me...a real window dilemma for sure. After extensive training..(I am a dog trainer)...conditioning...scenarios setups etc...my only solution is to crate my dog when I am out. period. She is safe..I don't have to worry...and I have a 95 lb Shep/Golden cross who is a perfect gentleman to guard the house.

I have tried blocking the window with a table and lamp...BIG mistake. She is not destructive, but WILL do anything to get to me. Broken lamp AND table. I tried leaving the blinds up enough for her to watch out the window...didn't even make it out of the driveway. Thought of window guards...but they are not meant for dogs feet and they can still aloow glass to be broken in between the grids.

I tried leaving her outside in a 6 ft chainlink dog kennel...covered top and escape proof bottom. In 5 minutes she was out playing with her ball on the other side of the yard. And that was when she was 8 weeks old and 11 lbs !!

Now? A large kennel aire crate, and a bone....the only solution. The ONLY safe solution...for her and my sanity.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You can always add a small shelf or bench.

• Robyn Garner

You could put some frosted contact paper over the bottom of the window so the dog can't see out. Put something upholstered on the window seat so he doesn't scratch the wood. Possibly block the dog from even entering that room?

As he doesn't go near there with the tree, how about a table with a lamp on it that's basically the same shape/size of the tree?

• Agnes Chrzanowska

What about build ins with window seat? Where is that window? In the main room ?

• Dee

I would put some kind of bench or bookcase in front of the window.

• Flipturn

What is the dog doing at the window that you feel you need to block him from going there? Is the dog so badly behaved that he is wrecking the blind?

Re-read then follow through on Naomie's very sensible suggestion.