Painted Fabric Headboard Bright Pink to Calm Gray

$20

It was time to update my guest bedroom. I thought it was fun but after my family visited and fought over who had to sleep in the girly room I knew it was time. So I got rid of bedspread and decided to paint the headboard a different color rather then get a new one. I have had good luck with painting fabric. I had painted my barstools and they are still going strong. You can check it out on my page.

This was the room before I went to work
This was the room before I went to work

As you can see it was bright and fun. There is my lamp before it was redone in my previous post.

Before paint
Before paint

As I started I gathered my supplies to get ready. This is the brush used it is a stiff brush to get into the button areas.

painted fabric headboard bright pink to calm gray

I used a Behr paint and primer and textile medium which you have to use to paint fabric. The directions of mixing directions medium and paint in on textile medium bottle. A spray bottle is a must. You must keep the fabric wet while painting the fabric. I also used a sponge brush for painting.

First coat
First coat

Here it is after one coat, I was a little discouraged with coverage. But, I plugged away.

Three coats
Three coats

This project ended up being time consuming. I had thought by using paint and primer that it would cover the very pink fabric but no.

Fourth coat was a rap
Fourth coat was a rap

Finally got my fourth coat on and it looked great. This was kinda time consuming but it turned out great. No regrets and no real technique really to paint it other then spraying the fabric to keep it wet while painting. I used the stiff round brush and dabbed the paint with the sponge brush.

Finished project
Finished project

Here it is, doesn’t even look like the same headboard and look at the money I saved and saved it from a land fill. I can’t wait to put it in the room and get started on the rest of the room. I hope you enjoy.

• Janet

This is beautiful and amazing!!

I am not very familiar with fabric/upholstery painting. I have seen many do this on this site. So I wonder if this dries hard and is it easy to crack or chip? I am assuming that with using the water the paint actually seeps into the upholstery? What is the texture after this dries. I have several projects I would love to do this on but honestly I am a bit scared to do it.