Sponge Accent Wall... Yes, You Read That Correctly!

$20

Have a boring, plain wall in your home? Make it a beautiful accent wall in no time! This project uses minimal effort with maximum effect!

Materials

Gather Your Materials

• Sponge
  • Paint (I used Night Watch by PPG)
  • Scissors
  • Tray for the paint

Paint

Paint

This step is not necessary if you already have a color on the wall you like. If not though paint the wall in color of choice.

Cut Sponge

Cut Sponge

Cut the corners of the sponge so it's not so square. If you want more square, just leave the sponge as is.

Stamp with the Sponge

Stamp with the Sponge

Pour paint into a container where you can dip the sponge in completely flat. It doesn't not take much paint, so don't pour too much. Dip the sponge into the paint and scrap on the side of the container any excess paint. You really don't want much on there, less is better to start. You can always stamp over if you want it darker.

Get to Stamping

Stamp

In a straight line, simply stamp the sponge onto the wall. You can spread each "stamp" out as much as you'd like. I did 3-4 stamps before re-dipping into the paint.

For spots around something, (sink, mirror, toilet, light, etc.) I grabbed another sponge, my pack came with three, and cut the length that would fit around the area. In the smaller, tighter areas (behind the sink and toilet) I used a piece about 1-2 inches long and just make the length with that smaller piece.

DIY Sponge Painted Accent Wall

The beautiful after shot of our bathroom!

Now you're all done and have a beautiful, wallpaper-like accent wall in your home! :)

Follow us on Instagram @sommer.stains

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning

• Kaylie

Loved this so much we just did it in our laundry room!

• Kimberly

Carlene I think that would be cute idea for a kids bathroom!!

• Joyce B

It looks amazing! Did you alternate the position of the sponge - as in, turning it 180 degrees, so it wouldn't have a uniform look? The old-style sponge painting instructed to turn the sponge to avoid repetition but it might have worked in your favor on this project.

• Ashleigh Sommer

Thank you! I did not! For every time I dipped into paint I sponged on the wall 3-5 times before re-dipping. Therefore as I went each one had less and less paint resulting each stamp to look different. If you wanted to differentiate between each stamp you definitely could rotate your sponge or even use two that you slightly cut differently! It’s just all personal preference :)

• Toni

What size sponge did you use? (Thickness wise) I did this recently and didn't care for the look, my sponge lines were skinny, but I love this look and you're sponge lines seem thicker than mine were.

• Ashleigh Sommer

Not sure what the thickness is, I just used whatever set of sponges I could find. I purchased these from Walmart, I think they came in a 4 pack.