$0 Schoolhouse Style Wood Broom

$10

Our old, cheap broom was broken during the move. After a ton of research, I decided I wanted an upscale model. But since I didn’t want to pay the upscale prices (some were as much as $150!), I figured out a way to reuse my broken broom bristles to DIY a cleaning utensil I’m proud to display.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

Now I have a completed wood broom that matches the modern arts and crafts aesthetic that I hope to achieve as we renovate our new home. It’s not perfect (it might be a little more angled than I’d hoped) but I think it looks pretty darn good and it’s actually a really good broom in terms of function!

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP ONE: Using your existing broom as a guide, determine the approximate width of your new broom head. Mark your cut lines on your scrap 2x4.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP TWO: Cut your scrap 2x4 to the appropriate length, as determined by your existing broom head.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP THREE: Sand sharp edges of your 2x4 block. This will be your broom head. If you desire a more modern look, don’t round out the edges too much. More rustic vibes are created with rounder edges.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP FOUR: Clamp 2x4 broom head to secure. Then measure and mark direct center of the wood block.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

Using the 1 3/8” wood boring drill bit, create a pilot hole in the wood and allow the bit to bore slightly into the block so that your broom stick will fit inside. DO NOT DRILL THROUGH THE ENTIRE BLOCK.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP FIVE: Create a 3/8” pilot hole for your machine screw by drilling in the center of the 1 3/8” pilot you just made. Drill through the entire block, as this is where your machine screw will attach the broom handle to the broom head. Then drill a 3/8” hole into the center of one side of your dowel.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP SIX: Create a grid pattern on the bottom of the wood block (this will be where the bristles attach, so use the side you deem least attractive, as no one will see it). Then use the grid layout to guide your bristle pilot holes.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP SEVEN: Using the 3/8” drill bit, create approximately 3/8” deep holes along your grid pattern. This is where your bristles will attach to the underside of your broom. Alternate the spacing for a fuller bristle look. Sand the surface with a light grit sandpaper and remove all wood shavings and sawdust from the holes.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP EIGHT: Apply your preferred finish. I used a gloss lacquer spray to allow the wood grain to show through. I also painted a stripe on the tip of my broom handle that matched my black screw hooks.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP NINE: Begin adding the bristles to your block by adding drops of wood glue inside each 3/8” hole and inserting the bristles inside. Careful to keep the bristles a consistent length. I opted to add a few bristles on the outside perimeter first to determine the look I liked. Then I screwed my broom head and broom stick together before adding additional bristles.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

PRO TIP: How to remove the bristles from your old broom: They should pull out with pliers but you can also use scissors to snip them and then bunch them back together by burning the ends and pressing the melted plastic lightly.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

STEP TEN: Insert a machine screw through the bottom of the wood block and directly through. Then screw and tighten to the dowel (where your previous 3/8” pilot hole was drilled).

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

(optional) If desired, insert your screw hook into the top of the broom handle for hanging.

0 schoolhouse style wood broom

Since the broom moves around the house a lot, I'm happy that it looks equally attractive in every room!

Teri | T. Moore Home