How To Make A Cute Shelf Unit Using Wood Slices

$2

Recently, I got invited to a Ryobi power tools conference which was more fun than it sounds. I even got to play with a chainsaw for the first time. In fact I used the chainsaw to cut loads of wood slices from a log. Lucky for me the organises let me take home a huge bag of the wood slices. I've made some fabulous Christmas ornaments with them in the past (see them here).

In fact I've been using the wood slices for lots of different crafts and DIYs. Another one of those projects where these really handy 3 tier plant shelves.

Even though I had a ton of wood slices I only used 3 for this project. I also used an old pine floor board I had lying around.

The first thing I did was cut the three wood slices about 2/3 along.

I then sanded both the wood slices and the floor boards smooth.

I then rubbed some wood wax onto all the cut wood slices and the floor board to give them a nice matching finish.

To attach the wood slices to the pine board I used small angled brackets. To match my decor I sprayed them copper before using them.

Using a ruler, I measured out the 3 wood slice shelves evenly spaced out. I left a little bit of board at both the bottom and top of the pine backing board.

Two angle brackets were used to attach each wood slice shelf to the pine backing board.

The narrow shelves were perfect for holding plant pots. I live in an old Victorian house with lots of quirky narrow wall spaces. These shelves are perfect for those spaces.

Also, I think these shelves are perfect for plants as the natural bark edge of the wood slice compliments the natural look of the plants. I've also exploited the natural look of wood slices with some fabulous pressed flower frame displays I made (you can see them here).

For more details visit the blog below.

What would you make with wood slices?

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Sarah

Did the wood slices not warp as they dried out?

• Jewellmartin

I love these touches on home Reno shows on tv. Some of the hosts make a point of using only aged or previously-used wood. But when I see fresh softwoods and hardwoods going on a wall or floor, I think, now that’s going to warp! Maybe it’s overnailed or overstapled, but I bet it still warps, especially after cleaning.

• Shuganne

I love the natural wood slices for shelves! I know that you needed to use L brackets for support - and I'm so glad you painted them copper to make them less of a sore thumb and more part of your style.

Since you cut off about a third of the wood round, I'm wondering if you could, in a future project turn that "waste wood" into (there's got to be a woodworking term for it) a Tab A/Slot B kind of connection using a thicker piece than the flooring?

There must be a way to cut a little tab into the wood round - not a simple rectangle - but so the weight of your flowerpot reinforces the strength of the joint and pushes the shelf tighter into the strange slot into the horizontal supporting piece. Maybe needing just a shim or a dowel-like pin drilled from the back to give it wiggle-free security? It would end up being an all natural joint with no hardware or wood glue needed.

Woodworkers, help me out to sketch or photograph into reality what I've got stuck in my head?!?

• John Biermacher

Heather,

i think you are right. I also think she suggested using a small section of the cut off as a support- kind of like a mini-cornel

• Julia Davis

I didn't have a question, but a suggestion. I think one might make lovely bookends using heavier slices of wood. Also, have you considered using the same procedure you used to make your shelves, leaving the piece lying on the back board, and utilizing it as an organizer? I think these might be very attractive in a man's office or study, or in a rustic home library.