Asked on Aug 15, 2019

How can I refinish a cherry wood table, chairs and a hutch?

Emy Flint | Semigloss DesignEmilyPad31467865

Looking for ideas / options on updating formal dining furniture to more casual look. Do I paint or refinish stain ?

• Pad31467865

I would consider using chalk paint for a modern update. You can achieve many different looks and because it's water-based, it's easy to use with minimal or no prep, dries fast, you can layer or mix colors, and it's easy to strip if you want to refinish with stain. You can see many styles of finishes of chalk painted furniture on many DIY websites, most especially on Hometalk! Best of luck in your decision.

KP

• Emily

I would hesitate to paint real cherry wood, although wood is not damaged by paint, it would be a considerable job to remove it. If you want to update the furniture what about putting fabric or wall paper in the back of the hutch, making slip covers for the seats of the chairs or even the backs of the chairs.

• Paint will give it a more casual look. Be sure to clean it well before painting. You want to remove any old furniture polish that will prevent paint from sticking.