Painting in Layers - Purplish Navy Buffet

$100

I bought this beautiful buffet on Facebook Market Place for a bargain. I know many people wouldn't paint it but I absolutely love colorful furniture so I didn't hesitate to give it a total makeover. I recorded the process on the video tutorial above.

I love its design and hardware, but this orangey wood color was so blah.

I prepared the piece by light sanding, cleaning and priming it with a coat of Clear Shellac.

Then I brushed a coat of General Finishes Royal Purple.

I waited for the base coat to dry then brushed a very light and watery coat of General Finishes Coastal Blue.

When all was dry, I applied General Finishes Pitch Black glaze using a chip brush.

After applying the glaze to one small section I immediately wiped the excess with baby wipes. As glaze dries quickly, it is better to work one small section at a time.

To blend the glaze more evenly on the flat areas, I brushed the surface with a very wet brush. I used a chip brush because I wanted the brush strokes to show and give it some texture.

I went back with some blue or purple on the areas I found needed more of each color (see video) and after I was happy with the result and all was dry, I sprayed clear top coat over the entire piece for protection. You can also use a foam brush for this step, but make sure the glaze is completely dry or you may ruin your work.

I refinished the hardware with Aged Brass metallic wax.

With an old artist brush, I applied some of the same wax to all legs.

Here is the "after" picture. To check out a more detailed tutorial and pictures of the details, visit my blog post!

If you want to know how I finished this top using gel stain, check out this blog post and video!

I hope you enjoyed this project!

Video Tutorial

15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

• Debra S

I NEED to re-do a fab cabinet this winter and I was in a real pickle trying to figure out what paint to do it in... this helps, the milk paint sounds like what I would prefer, do you have to also wax the milk paint? ugh I don't want to do wax, I do like poly for things that get hard use...

on a side thought- am I one of the only people who are bothered when people do NOT take the drawers out of a project and give the entire surfaces, in and out.. a nice new fresh smelling (some of my old things had an old smell, good paint got rid of it ) and pretty paint job? LOL I can't stand it if I do not do this. I'll even put some stencils on the drawer sides sometimes.... it makes me so happy to see pretty even when pulling a drawer out..

• Maureen

OMG..I thought the same thing.. purple??

But the piece turned out absolutely beautiful. What a creative mixture of colors to achieve the amazing end result!!

• Gloria tulip

Why the shellac? Perhaps as a stain blocker? Beautiful.