Gorgeous Rainbow Upcycled Succulent Planters

$3

I love the trend for succulents and cactus planters for the home. I'm always upcycling the things around me into colourful planters such as these fabulous Marimekko tin can planters.

This time I didn't use tin cans but I used a variety of old bowls, glasses and candlesticks for the planters.

gorgeous rainbow upcycled succulent planters

What you need for this project as well as the old bits and pieces are some Gorilla contact adhesive and spray paints in a rainbow of colours.

You can easily pick up these odds bit of crockery very cheaply in your local thrift and junk stores.

Before gluing your planters, play around with the arrangements. Place bowls on top of glasses and candlesticks. Experiment with a range combinations. I liked to ensure that I had a selection of planters in different heights.

Once you are happy with your design. Place some contact adhesive on the base.

Then place more adhesive on the top bowl. Then, following the instructions on the contact adhesive stick them together.

Leave the glue plenty of time to dry fully.

Repeat with all the other bowls, glasses and candlesticks.

Next, spray paint each planter. To create a rainbow spray paint each one a different colour of the rainbow.

When the planters are dry then they are ready to plant with succulents and cacti.

For instructions on how to plant the succulents then visit the blog link at the end.

I love how the planters look on the mantle. The different heights really show off the succulents. I think they would also make a lovely gift.

I'm going to make some more planters for the fabulous 3 tier wood slice planter shelves I made (see here).

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Jeanette

What type of spray paint is used for this project?

• Lollie

How much do the paints cost, and where can i get these?? The Montana Gold. Thank you for sharing.

Lollie

• Megan Miller

Do you make drainage holes in the containers? And do you paint interior of cups where you plant the succulents? i worry bout paint chemicals seeping into soil. ive had issues in past with some more sensitive succulents so i wonder if you use some kind of clear coat or protective spray?

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

I didn't put drainage holes in but I did put a layer of gravel in the bottom to help with drainage. I sprayed the inside of the cups and they seem fine so far but you could easily add a layer of a non toxic varnish or line the pots with cling film (saran wrap) to the inside of the pots if you are worried about chemicals.

• Sarge

Can you tell me what specific shade of blue was used? I love that deeply saturated color. TIA