Turn a Discarded Box Spring Into a Shelf - Totally Reclaimed!!!

$0

Up cycle a discarded box spring into a storage shelf with little or no money using reclaimed materials.

turn a discarded box spring into a shelf totally reclaimed

Increase your storage space in the garage, pantry, or craft room using a discarded box spring.

The haul home
The haul home

A tenant bought a new mattress set and needed to dispose of the old set. Not able to haul it off, she decided to breakdown all the parts to put in the dumpster. I hadn't notice her doing it until I saw the box spring frame laying out by the dumpster already stripped of material and the springs. I am not sure what difficulty she had in removing all of it but she is about 90 pounds soak and wet so maybe it wasn't too difficult This process had to be the most difficult! I digress!

I do mosaic and am in constant need of storage space that allows visibility of my materials. I have tried book shelves of all shapes and sizes and nothing worked. When I saw the frame laying on the ground, the thought hit me!! THERE IS MY SHELF! Perfect depth, perfect price. So, I loaded it on the car! Not the prettiest, most efficient way to haul it but when you are on a limited budget and limited resources, you can come up with some pretty creative ways to accomplish tasks!

The material is stapled all around the frame so all of those have to be removed. Again, the difficulty of removing the springs is unknown! Also, the time alloted to complete this project will depend on the removal of the material on the frame.

I found this site that might be helpful.

Use a flat head screwdriver and pliers to remove all the staples and material. (Have a container available to put all the discarded staples in for disposal! There are a lot of them!)

(The bracing on this frame is not lined up to be able to just add shelves. I would imagine all of them will be that way to help with the support of the mattress).

My apologies for the amateur job and pictures! I wasn't sure this was going to work and I am definitely not a master carpenter.

Measure the depth between the front and back where you will need to attach a support. This is important to do with each rung because not every place is exactly the same. Using scrap pieces of 2x4's, place a support on each rung where you want a shelf. Most were cut to about 5" lengths using a table saw. 2x4 supports can be used horizontally or vertically but in the middle, it is best to use horizontally. Attach each support by the means of your choice - i..e. screw or nails. I glued the ends of the 2 x 4 before attaching.

Use slats from a disassembled pallet for each shelf. The board for the back will need to be notched if you want the shelf to extend that far. Attach each shelf to the 2 x 4 support using nails or screws.

Another view

More Supports.

You can see the horizontal 2 x 4 of the bottom shelf. This gives a support for the shelf on the other side.

The finished product!

Now all supplies are visible and easily accessible. This will also work very well for canned goods in a pantry space or in the garage for paint, car washing supplies or?????!

I love this idea so much I am scouting now for another box spring! I need the shelving and it was a super fun project!

You get to determine the height of the shelf. If you have taller items to store, leave out a shelf!

Everything in view!

PS.... Even the jars are recycled - mayonnaise, peanut butter, instant coffee, trail mix. You name it!

• Ticia

Love your creativity with a box spring; were the springs already removed when you found it as I'd imagine it'd be quite heavy otherwise. Also, did you treat the wood in any way in case of insect infestation or to prevent same? Love what you did.

• Wyldecent

The box frame often doesn't have springs (the name may be a misnomer). It is simply support for the mattress which usually has springs (depending on type of mattress), although it could have some type of wiring for additional support. I've seen both and think they are usually lighter than the mattress. I made a vertical plant stand out of queen size one that didn't have any wiring or springs. Turned it on it side, found cheap plastic window box planter that fit the spaces in between the boards, painted it with some leftover deck paint, and fastened it to my deck. Worked well, less than $20.

• Sandra

Who rides by an old mattress box “spring” and thinks shelves. Glad you did because I wouldn’t. But I am now on the lookout for an led box “spring”. This is ingenious! Thanks for this great idea.

• Terri
    13 minutes ago

genius thinking! Thanks I'm gonna try this with the old box spring I have in storage that I can't get rid of.