Book Wall Tutorial

$75

Growing up, the library was a wonderful treasure my mother would take us to weekly. I love the smell, the feel, and what a book represented: adventure & knowledge. Both of which I couldn’t get enough of. Lost in their pages time and time again, I’d often be up until early in the morning, always telling myself “just one more chapter”.

And that wasn’t just new books, if it was special enough, I’d re-read a good book over again and again. Each time, it’s as if I’d returned home to visit my favorite characters after a long while away. You can only imagine then, that when I first saw book wall art I knew it had to be recreated it in my own home.

book wall tutorial

This is what my entryway looked like when we moved in.

WHAT KIND OF BOOK WALL IS FOR YOU?

There are several different ways to make book wall art. Use your imagination! Some use the books as a canvas and paint sayings or pictures on top of them.

For myself, I wanted a strong quote in the middle and books on each side. I wanted it to be as if a spring wind was sweeping them up and away.

book wall tutorial

We started by painting the wall the books were going to be added to.

book wall tutorial

AGING THE BOOKS

Aging is important if you want all the books to have a similar look. I was able to find some old treasures, but others were newer and needed a little yellowing.

Open the books to mid-center, and really bend them backward. I had to place rocks and logs on them overnight help them lay open where I chose. The next day I placed a cup of cold brewed coffee and half a cup of water in a small spray bottle, misted over the pages and sides, and let dry. I redid this around three or four times, letting them dry in-between, for that wrinkled, aged look.

book wall tutorial

For the focal point, I chose to age a poster that I had printed at Office Depot on white poster paper. You can use anything for the middle though! I wanted to have the ability to change it out seasonally, because I know me, and I’ll get board with the same quote for years. Thats also why I used the magnetic poster strips. So I could change out the saying and simply rehang whenever inspiration hit.

If you’d rather have something more permanent, you can find a hanging sign with a quote, or even a beautiful picture. The sky is the limit when deciding what goes in the center! Etsy has some great finds for unique posters, even ones you can custom order with your specific quote!

Like mentioned above, I used Office Depot to print my poster. They had tons of different options, like printing on canvas or thicker paper. I went with the least expensive poster option because I was cutting costs, and knew I’d only have it on the wall for a few months, so I didn’t want to invest in the more expensive options.

To age the poster, I laid it down and gently kneaded it with my hands, giving it lots of good character building wrinkles and folds. From there I sprayed the coffee mixture on, being very careful to only do a little on the words themselves, as the ink will run! Do it again and again until you get your desired look.

Note* Don’t let your daughter spill fishy crackers on said poster and not notice, they’ll leave grease stains you’ll have to try and cover. Don’t ask me how I know this. . .

book wall tutorial

I started by measuring the space on the floor out to how large the section of the wall was I had to work with. Then with the poster in the center, I worked outwards from it on both sides, creating a pattern I liked.

Lots of book ripping happened, which I felt oddly guilty of at first. But honestly, these suckers are getting nailed to the wall, there’s no coming back from that and finding their way back to the local library. Don’t be afraid to create the look you want by doing what you need to to the books!

book wall tutorial

We attached the poster first, since it was the base we would be working out from on either side. I went ahead and glued a quarter of a book to the bottom left hand side of the poster, and pages flying out from it. This helped to soften the big poster into all the books.

book wall tutorial

Because this area is so dang high in our home, I needed my husband Travis to help tag team this. I took a photo of the books all laid out on the floor for reference, and would grab one book from the pattern at a time, bring it to him, show him with the photo where it saw suppose to be attached. He’d then hold it up to the spot and I’d say, twist it right more, down a little, and so on until it was perfect. Then he’d attach it.

book wall tutorial

When nailing them to the wall, we had to turn down the nail gun because the nails were going right through the books and not grabbing anything, especially those that were not hard cover. Once we found our sweet spot, it went fairly quickly. Travis would grab about a quarter of the pages on each side of the book, using those and the covers to nail them to the wall. This left about half the pages loose, which I then went though and glued and tacked how I wanted, so it had a very natural feel to them.

book wall tutorial

Overall I’m super happy with how it all turned out! It’s so warm and inviting, which is exactly what I want my guests to feel walking into our home.

book wall tutorial

They are welcome to sit down, relax, and enjoy a nice chat over a cup of coffee.

Eryn | Eryn Whalen Online

• Sheena

How are you gluing/pinning the books to stay open?

• Eryn | Eryn Whalen Online

I nailed the books with about 1/4 of the pages down on each side, and went in with a glue gun and double sided tape and worked from the nailed pages forward attaching them to make them appear open. Setting them open on the floor with wood holding them down for a night also helped train the pages to stay open.