How to Turn a Dull Old Cupboard Into Bright Tie Dye Effect Must Have

$7

This dull old but well made cupboard was for sale in my local charity shop for just £4! Such a bargain So I quickly whipped it away knowing just the perfect space for it once I’d given it a transformative colourful makeover!

Bargain cupboard find

I was going to use the colour scheme of pink white and orange and had the desire to create a tie dye effect on the outside to give it personality!

Using unicorn spit gel stain

I squirt the unicorn spit in various swirling patterns onto the surface of the cupboard and then spray it over with water.

Unicorn spit in swirly pattern

The water spray helps the movement of paint and even coverage and also create unique pattern once we cover it with polythene bag.

Spray water into paint

I Cover the surface with a recycle semi transparent plastic bag. Smoothing the wrinkles and spreading paint slowly and gently to ensure good even distribution of colour.

Covering with plastic bag

The patterns and techniques are so varied and unique as no two attempts are the same. Blending in ways you feel give your desired look.

Spreading the paint with fingers

i then whip off the plastic bag in one direction revealing the colourful blended pattern.

Transforming in process

I paint inside the shelves and door.

Painting Inside colour

The inside I wanted plain so just used in same colours with sponge applicator.

Painting inside with unicorn spit stain and g

I repeat tie dye look with the unicorn spit stain and gel process on all sides

Paintingand spraying with water

The cupboard is best to be left over night to dry. Then begin to place in my bathroom ready to get tidying all the bits that look better out of view.

Leave to dry

I am so thrilled with the vibrancy and blend of random pattern. Is perfectly placed now in my bathroom!

Finished cupboard
Perfect place in bathroom.
Unicorn spit stain & gel cupboard makeover

• Mary Pol

It’s fabulous!Love the curious cat too

• Neva Dew

I just have to say I thought this was really ugly until I saw it in your bathroom. It looks great with the other colors in there! You did a very good job on this! Kudos to you.

• Susan Goode

Ah yes it was with a match of colours now mind in my bathroom that I did it thanks for interest