Faux Tile Fireplace Make Over

$50

-Want to spice up your fire place?? It's as easy as, paint and a stencil!-

Materials Needed -

Link to stencil -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B13KF52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to my paint brushes I always use to paint with -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DT5YJQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vNXWDb3CWGHJW

Link to sealer -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PRNXNY/ref=twister_B07JLY244F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Step One - Prep

Wipe down the area you're going to paint to make sure it's clean from any dirt or dust. Tape off the area you're going to paint so you don't get paint where it's not supposed to go.

Step Two - Paint

Depending on what color you want to be behind the stencil, paint the entire area in that color. I chose white.

Step Three - Stencil time!

Line your stencil up and tape it down, the last thing you want is it moving around. I started at the bottom end of the fireplace. I used a little roller to go over the stencil. You don't want much paint on the roller. I made sure to roll over a paper plate before I rolled over the stencil to get as much excess paint off the roller. I used black paint to stencil.

Before I peeled up the stencil, I let it sit for a bit and blew on it to dry it to prevent smudging.

It's VERY important to make sure the area you just did is dry before lining up the stencil for the next "tile". I did cut down the edges of the stencil so there wasn't so much over lapping of the stencil, but it will over lap the area you just did, so make sure it's dry before continuing. You can alternate different rows so you aren't stenciling right next to what you just did to save time.

Also, VERY important, clean off your stencil every so often. The paint does get stuck on the back side and if you're slightly off when lining up and lay it down, you will get an accidental paint smear. I did 3-4 "tile" stencils and then washed off the stencil in the sink with warm water. Make sure to fully dry it off before using it.

Step Four - Touch up

There's no such thing as perfect, this is something that is going to need touch ups, so don't be afraid if the stencil gets a little messed up. I had quite a bit to touch up when I was all finished. I also didn't want to cut my stencil down, so I did free hand the areas where I couldn't get the stencil to fit (around the top edges). You can cut your stencil down to skip not having to free hand it, I just found it was easier to free hand. Just make sure the paint is dry before touching up.

Step Five - Seal

I used my favorite polycrylic in the matte finish to seal. I did wait a couple of days before sealing. I wanted to make sure that the paint was fully dry, a day would be sufficient drying time though. I did two coats of this. I used a roller to apply.

Link to sealer -

Step Six - Enjoy!

Now that all the hard tedious work is done, take off all that painters tape and sit back and enjoy your new fire place :)

Since originally doing this project I have painted my fireplace black and I LOVE it!

These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners