Ashleigh Sommer
Ashleigh Sommer
  • Fayetteville, NC

Faux Tile Fireplace Make Over

$50

-Want to spice up your fire place?? It's as easy as, paint and a stencil!-

Step one - Prep

• Wipe down the area you're going to paint to make sure it's clean from any dirt or dust. Tape off the area you're going to paint so you don't get paint where it's not supposed to go.

Step two - Paint

• Depending on what color you want to be behind the stencil, paint the entire area in that color. I chose white.

Step three - Stencil time!

• Line your stencil up and tape it down, the last thing you want is it moving around. I started at the bottom end of the fireplace. I used a little roller to go over the stencil. You don't want much paint on the roller. I made sure to roll over a paper plate before I rolled over the stencil to get as much excess paint off the roller. I used black paint to stencil.
  • Before I peeled up the stencil, I let it sit for a bit and blew on it to dry it to prevent smudging.
  • It's VERY important to make sure the area you just did is dry before lining up the stencil for the next "tile". I did cut down the edges of the stencil so there wasn't so much over lapping of the stencil, but it will over lap the area you just did, so make sure it's dry before continuing. You can alternate different rows so you aren't stenciling right next to what you just did to save time.
  • Also, VERY important, clean off your stencil every so often. The paint does get stuck on the back side and if you're slightly off when lining up and lay it down, you will get an accidental paint smear. I did 3-4 "tile" stencils and then washed off the stencil in the sink with warm water. Make sure to fully dry it off before using it.

Step four - Touch up

• There's no such thing as perfect, this is something that is going to need touch ups, so don't be afraid if the stencil gets a little messed up. I had quite a bit to touch up when I was all finished. I also didn't want to cut my stencil down, so I did free hand the areas where I couldn't get the stencil to fit (around the top edges). You can cut your stencil down to skip not having to free hand it, I just found it was easier to free hand. Just make sure the paint is dry before touching up.

Step five - Seal

• I used my favorite polycrylic in the matte finish to seal. I did wait a couple of days before sealing. I wanted to make sure that the paint was fully dry, a day would be sufficient drying time though. I did two coats of this. I used a roller to apply.

Step six - Enjoy!

• Now that all the hard tedeous work is done, take off all that painters tape and sit back and enjoy your new fire place :)
faux tile fireplace make over
faux tile fireplace make over
faux tile fireplace make over
faux tile fireplace make over
faux tile fireplace make over
faux tile fireplace make over
faux tile fireplace make over

• Dmholt4391
    20 hours ago

You could use the brick from the door way (if there's enough) to add another line of brick to each side of the former opening. Then you could make a design change on your house by using the tile/brick presently filling that space by using it on other places on your house such as below windows, or making columns of it for distinction. Good luck with this project. The landscaping in front of it looks nice.

• Carolyn from NH
    29 minutes ago

Very pretty. Nicely done. It’s a winner.