Sandy
Sandy
  • Delray Beach, FL
Asked on Aug 15, 2019

How can I make a box for holding coat hangers?

SandySKmdreamer
+2

• Pat Kinser

Go to your local dry cleaners and buy some..js

Hi Sandy - well, Pat wasn't so helpful there:( What you can do is get a sturdy cardboard box that is at least 2 feet tall and as wide as you can get it. Cut 2 holes in the narrower of the ends, about 18 inches up, or however high your hangers are, insert a dowel, about 1inch longer than the box, make a mark on the dowel ends that are outside of the box. Drill a hole as large as a nail and put the dowel into the holes of the box, put a nail into each of the holes to keep the dowel from falling into the box and hang your hangers on that. Also, for added stability, you can get some really stiff cardboard, or extra layers, and put them on the narrow side of the box where you cut the holes, and cut holes in them, too. Then put the dowel through all of the pieces. If you want to build a wooden box, we can tell you how to do that, too, but this is the easiest and cheapest way to go if you want your hangers to hang:) If you just want a box to lay the hangers in, most grocery stores are happy to give you cardboard boxes from stock they have received.

Good luck

• Kmdreamer

Like a large shoe box and cover with pretty paper

• S

I took a large box and divided it diagonally with a sheet of cardboard and then cut away most of one triangle and taped the remaining bits to the remaining triangle and covered it with fabric to store the hangers flat.... it did start to conquer the mess known as my daughter’s walk in closet .... but the first question that needs to be asked.... why do you have so many un-clothed hangers to deal with? My daughter’s answer was everything is always in the wash.....

• Sandy

Thank you. This looks like the answer I was looking for.