DIY Fringe Bowl

$8

Have you noticed fringe is everywhere in home decor these days - furniture, pillows, rugs, accents and especially wall hangings! Adding fringe to decorative items is a great way of changing or introducing a new look for the season!

One way could be to use jute twine to coil into a bowl and then add a handmade fringe around the top edge! This would be so cool!

diy fringe bowl

Start with a plastic bowl for shaping. I got this one at Target for 79 cents! And wrap it in strips of parchment paper instead of plastic wrap that will sometimes stick or melt and make the inside finish shiny.

diy fringe bowl

Then add quick drying fabric glue to the end of a large roll of jute twine (don't cut) and begin twirling it in a tight coil circle.

diy fringe bowl

Place the coiled twine circle on top of the parchment covered bowl and continue adding fabric glue as you twirl the twine around. Add lines of glue along the twine as you are coiling it around the bowl base, making sure to keep the twine even and the circle flat.

diy fringe bowl

Continue coiling and gluing the twine around the bowl, holding the twine firmly in place as you are waiting for the glue to dry ( a minute or two) until reaching the end of the bowl.

diy fringe bowl

To finish, cut the twine at an angle, adding a bit of glue, while blending and smoothing into the edge. Gently remove plastic bowl from coiled twine bowl.

diy fringe bowl

Seal the bowl with a coat of mod podge to make the fibers stronger and to control the jute twine threads.

diy fringe bowl

To make the fringe, wrap a piece of jute twine around the edge of the finished bowl, overlapping the ends and cut off. Measure the height of the side of the bowl (8") and begin cutting eight inch strips of twine. Then take each twine piece and fold in half forming a loop on one end. Make a lark's head knot by placing the loop over the long piece of twine. With the loop hanging down over the twine, pull the two twine strands through the loop around the twine, pulling strands tight into a knot.

diy fringe bowl

Continue making larks head knots around the twine . . .

diy fringe bowl

until twine is completely covered.

diy fringe bowl

Unravel the twine strands and fluff using a comb or stiff brush. Attach fringe to edge of bowl using a quick grab, strong fabric glue. Use clothespins to hold in place until glue is completely dry.

diy fringe bowl
diy fringe bowl
Bottom look
Bottom look

You can insert the plastic bowl back in to use with food or wet items. It's a perfect fit!

diy fringe bowl

What a fun way to add a decorative look using fringe! Ideal for showing off my faux figs for Fall!

diy fringe bowl

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Shirley Hearn

How do you keep the parchment paper in place while you work? It's slippery and won't hold tape.

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

I used painter's tape that stayed attached to the bowl and over the parchment paper to secure long enough to coil around it all.

• Margo

How can u erase projects to do itema

• Joan

I love this! Can you give the measurements of the bowl you used?

Great job

• Quin Rose

Sounds like it will be "nice" for a week then it will become a dust collector...I like cleanable projects.

• I haven't had any problems so far and I haven't seen any dust or dirt on it. And if it does get dust on it, I'll just shake it off. It's twine!

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan
    20 minutes ago

Love this project! I love using jute in projects around my house. Thanks for a great idea. I will be making this bowl very soon. This is my Jute Wreath that was recently posted.