Refinishing Wood Furniture Like a Pro

$30

Lots of furniture painting/ refinishing tutorials focus on how to do it the easy way by skipping a step or do it fast! But the truth is you won't get the results you want to achieve by cutting corners. Don't get me wrong I have done plenty of chalk painted side tables and dressers and recommend those if you are looking to achieve the farmhouse/shabby chic look or a first timer. But the truth is that wax isn't a permanent finish and will have to re-wax 3-6 months (depending on usage) I don't want to have to tell customers that the dresser they just bought will require such work! Not to mention that waxing a big piece takes forever and is hard work. I will show you how to get a professional look the hard way, the time consuming way, but in a way where you get a permanent finish you can be proud of and you don't have to worry about for the next 60 years!

American of martinsville side table

This mid century modern side table has seen better days. It seemed that someone has tried to refinish it but did a lousy job. Perhaps by following a cutting corners tutorial 😉.

Sanding with an electric sander

I started by taking the table apart and got to sanding. Sanded all the way from 100 (100, 120, 150, 220). Down to 220.

Nice wood grain

Once that way all done I could already see the amazing woodgrain! And the signature American of martinsville metal x's were showing beautifully.

Oil instead of stain

This was my first time using boiled linseed oil instead of stain and liked the way it enhanced the natural wood grain instead of hiding it behind the stain.

It unfortunately takes 24 hours between coats, but this isn't a cutting corners tutorial remember? 😁. I applied 2 coats of oil then once it was dry (2 days later) sealed it with a water based polyurethane for a permanent finish.

Sami gloss clear coat

You have to wait till the oil dries before you apply! I apply clear coat with a high quality brush that way you don't leave brush strokes. Would it be better with a spay on machine? Sure! But I don't have one nor the place where I could spray that around....

Here is the final product! Gorgeous wood grain and a professional finish that will last another lifetime!

Follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai to see my other furniture rescues

How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut

• Lorinda Wichman

Have a piece I am starting soon but I bought Tung Oil. Is there a reason you chose Linseed instead of Tung? I'm looking for the cautions you may offer.

• Ellen Bertelsen

I recently refinished a wood and cast iron porch bench with tung oil. I sanded the wood free of old varnish, wiped it down and did two coats of tung oil, letting the first dry 24 hrs before applying the second. After letting the 2nd coat dry I reassembled the bench. Absolutely lovely. It brings out the grain nicely. I did use Linseed oil on a wicker rocker which “fed” the wicker, which was very dried out. Made a huge difference. Try small samples of each to see which you like best and follow the directions on the can.

• Deb

I to am a beautiful wood nerd. Love grains. Great job

• Linda

That turned out gorgeous!!

• Spanky

Love it and so happy you didn't paint it. Don't think I would have liked it as much if you had painted it. Great job!!

• Gail

Love the little X's in the corners......