Asked on Aug 17, 2019

How can I unclog a drain without using chemicals?

BetsyEmLifestyles Homes
+3

• Lynn Sorrell

use a plunger or a snake

• The Inspired Workshop

Hey there! Depending on the reason for the clog, there are many ways to unclog your drain that does not include chemicals! If it is a shower or bathtub drain, you can use the old hanger method to pull out all that nasty tangled up hair and get immediate drain opening (I have to do this all the time  )! Make a small hook on on end that will fit down the drain to hook the hair. Pull all the hair out...hold your nose and you may even want to wear gloves...it's nasty!

Or if it is a kitchen drain clogged by grease or other kitchen waste products, vinegar baking soda and boiling water seem to do the trick for me! I always keep a plunger handy in my kitchen as well (I bought one to ONLY be used in my kitchen sink! Lol!) Get all the water out of the sink by plunging or using a bucket if the plunger doesn't work, and then sprinkle a half cup of baking soda in the drain, pour a cup of vinegar down the drain and plug the drain. Once you hear the fizzling stop, have a large pan of boiling water ready to pour down the drain! I may have to repeat this a couple times to get it fully unclogged, but it works pretty well! Hope this helps!

• Lifestyles Homes

Where is it?

Bathroom= hair & soap

Kitchen=grease, biofilm and soap.

• Em

Did you take off the P-trap and try to clean out from there?

Hi Pgo. First of all, plug any vent holes in the sink, if there are any. Then, pour about 1/2 box of baking soda into the drain and follow that with about a cup of vinegar. Plug the drain so that the power of these two products go to the drain and not out of the opening. Hold it tight and let it sit for about 10 or 15 minutes at least. Then, follow with at least a gallon of hot water. That should do it. Don't do this if you have used any type of drain cleaner like Draino, as it may come back up and splash in your face and eyes.

Here is a site to tell you a bit more about this:

https://www.thespruce.com/freshen-and-unclog-drain-with-baking-soda-1900466

Good luck