The Ugly Planter Box Makeover

$20

It’s true…I have a soft spot in my heart for sweet old gentlemen. (and apparently, so does my husband) While on a call, my husband met this nice older gentleman. The two began to talk and one thing leads to another and my husband walks away with this wood planter box that the gentleman had made.

As my husband unloaded it from the car he actually apologized. 

(it’s like he doesn’t know me at all)

It was a little unique with the hand drawn pictures on the side. But, I thought it was great.

All it needed was a couple coats of Farmhouse White Curb Appeal Paint from DecoArt*.

It really was easy to use and the Curb Appeal Paint dried really quick.

Ok, I’ll admit, because of the marker drawings on the side it took more than a couple coats. After all the coats of paint were dry I gave the box a light sanding to make it smooth.

I used the HomeRight Super Finish Max Extra Power Painter* to paint the box.

The box looked a little too plain, so I decided to stencil a design on the sides.  (Click on blog link at the end of the post for more information on the products used.)

To stencil the design…

• Position the stencil onto the box and tape down the edges with removable painter’s tape to keep the stencil from moving. Use stipple brush to apply paint inside open stencil areas.
  • Carefully remove stencil from box. Make sure their is no excess paint that’s seeped under the stencil before moving the stencil to the next area on the box.
  • I painted the edges of the box with a thin layer of “dolphin” paint.
  • After everything was completely dry I lightly sanded the box with a piece of extra fine sand paper. The sand paper gives the box the worn and weathered look I was going for.

I put the box on an old white bench and sat it in front of my window.

I love how soft and delicate the flowers look inside the box.

For additional pictures click on blog link at bottom of post.

23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
15 Perfectly Round Tables
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Sue's Creative Workshop