2x12 Floating Shelves

$35

Floating shelves provide a great, modern look, but they aren't always cheap, and it can be tough to find the exact wood tone you want. While updating our bathroom, we knew we wanted a nice, warm pop of wood color for the newly white walls. This project shows how to quickly, and cheaply, make your own.

Start with a simple framing lumber 2x12.

Cut to length. For us, 24 inches long was the perfect length to fill the space above our toilet. Next, use a table saw or circular saw to rip about 1/4 inch off the edges. This gets rid of the rounded edges so you have a nice square edge. Then, cut the board lengthwise down the middle. This gives you about 5 inch deep shelves.

To mount the shelves, you'll need floating shelf brackets. There are a lot of varieties. We repurposed some old ones we weren't using anymore, but you can get 4 brackets for about 20 dollars. Mark the center of the rear edge of your shelf and drill a hole large enough to insert the rod on the bracket.

Sand and then stain the shelves to your desired shade. Then add a protective coat of polyurethane.

To mount the shelves, insert the brackets into the shelf, and then add some double sided tape to the part that will touch the wall. Find the right spot for your shelf and hold it to the wall where you want it to go. Pull the shelf away and the double sided tape should help the brackets stick to the wall at the right spot. This was a 2-person job for us. One person held the brackets to the wall so they didn't fall down as the other pulled the shelf off. Finally, mark the bracket mounting holes on the wall and mount the brackets using hollow wall anchors if necessary. Once the brackets are secured, slide your shelves back on and you're all set!

Here is the finished product. Follow me on Instagram at @woodyworking for more simple woodworking DIY projects.

15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas

• Carol Cole

I have never seen these kind of floating shelves. I don't understand how they can hold up on the heavy wood?

Great job though, I love it.

• Shelli Blair

I have that teeny sink in a rental, where can I get a cabinet surround like the one showing here ? Thanks :)

• Denise

I think that is sold as a one piece unit in Home Depot.

• Mary

It's a fantastically simple shelf BUT I'm stuck on the brackets - what do they look like, what do I ask for, does the bracket come in different sizes to match the size of shelves I want to use.

Thanks for your help.