Asked on Aug 19, 2019

How can I put up a fence to protect the wood gate?

WilliamJan ClarkRobyn Garner
+7

q what is the best material for fencing how do you protect wooden gate

Want to build this type gate for my fence

• Cedar is my vote for best fencing. I'm also a fan of Thompson's Water Seal.

• Cheryl A

I would go online to fence companies and just look at the ideas they have to sell. You could decide what looks best to you and what would work for your yard

• Robyn Garner

I think (guessing) that plastic fencing probably has the longest lifespan but you can google guarantees for various products. The lifespan of guarantees will give you the probable lifespan for your own use as they don't want to pay lol!

Your decision should really be based on what is "best" for your own situation. The gate you picture will be terrific if your goal is privacy, perhaps keeping a dog from having street sitelines. You could soften the finished look of this type of gate merely by giving the top an interesting profile. This can give you some ideas you could incorporate

https://www.pinterest.com/marykiewik/wood-fence-gates/

I'm assuming though that you've got an existing metal chain link fence. The simple answer is, YES you can DIY this easily if you've got a couple of strong friends. Dig down to set a metal post at the ends you plan for. Here's where the friends come in: use a come-along to pull the existing chain link tight to attach using the proper hardware to your new posts. Done!

You can choose any of hundreds of free DIY designs to build your own gate using your choice of material. "The first thing you should know in estimating the life of your fence is the natural life of your wood. The most commonly used wood types for fences are cedar, spruce, and pine. Depending on the species, cedar may last for about 15-30 years, spruce may last for about 4-7 years, and pine may last for about 5-12 years."

"Cedar wood projects typically last more than 20 years without splitting, rotting, or warping. White oak and teak are also long lasting woods that are resistant to decay, twisting, cracking, or warping."

"a vinyl fence can last for twenty to thirty years with ease. Most manufacturers do provide lifetime warranties on vinyl fences for this very reason. Even if the fence has been installed in a high-traffic area, it will remain standing year after year."

"A properly cleaned vinyl fence can last anywhere from five to seven years longer than one that is left to collect dirt and grim."

Here are images and sources for a vinyl wood-look gate

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS800US800&q=wood+look+vinyl+gate&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9vf-mp4_kAhVFcq0KHWXqA48QsAR6BAgCEAE&biw=1280&bih=913

• John Philips

Thanks for detailed post. I think also Cedar wood is good enough. I Post it for some reviews.

• Jan Clark

Well, John, seeing as how you're in Phoenix, I'm going to go with cedar. If you're concerned about posts warping, then definitely go with metal posts - but that probably isn't necessary unless the posts you get are wet to start with. The problem with most gates is that they warp. So be sure your gate is properly supported and attached. I'd use metal posts - even though they'll get incredibly hot where you live. Wood will eventually warp and pull your gate off square. Also consider framing your gate (double gate if we're talking driveway wide) with metal poles and using turnbuckles to keep them in line. We also have a support post attached to each side of our driveway gate that sit into little notches drilled into the concrete driveway. That prevents them from swinging in the wind.

As you can see in the picture, my husband decided to go with two 6 X 6 chain link gates which he covered with cedar boards on the street side. Hope that helps.

It looks like the metal framing was welded to give it strength. Then premade fence panels were attached ti the metal framing. You can buy fence parts to make the metal framing. Definitely use metal fence posts. Then you can attach premade fence panels to the metal frame.