Asked on Aug 19, 2019

How can I make DIY weed killer?

Holly Bertone | Pink FortitudeBetsyKathy Gunter Law
+1

I HAVE 100'S OF 5' TALL GARDEN PHLOX. THEY HAVE TAKEN OVER MY FLOWER BEDS. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL WHEN IN BLOOM, BUT THEIR SEED HEADS CONTAIN MANY SEEDS. I BREAK THEM OFF, BUT GET NO WHERE. I'VE TRIED DIGGING, NEVER GET THEM ALL.

• Kathy Gunter Law

2 cups white vinegar

¼ cup salt

Squirt of dawn

Mix in a spray bottle. If you have a larger area, you can mix in a garden sprayer with larger quantities. Use when it will not be raining for a few hours so that it isn’t washed away.

Hi Rose: I have Phlox in my yard, too. They are beautiful, and even if you break off the seed heads, they seem to get all over the place:( Cut them down, or pull them out and spray ONLY that area, or those plants you want to kill, with this:

If the weeds aren't over about 4 inches tall, you can make a mix of:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is dissolved, mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning, after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have done this and it works. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes. Good luck

WEED KILLER WITH DAWN

1 gallon white vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 Tbsp liquid Dawn

Combine ingredients and put into a spray bottle and spray the weeds at the sunniest time of day.

This mix is very effective so make sure it doesn’t spray on something you DON’T want to kill.

Good luck

• Hi Rose - The struggle is real, isn't it?!? This is the most effective all-natural weed killer DIY that we use. It's even been featured on Hometalk! Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/weed-killer/

PS - We have a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. You can download it here --> https://pinkfortitude.com/thank#GreenClean