Asked on Aug 19, 2019

How can I close the gap between boards of a dry sink?

V SmithJessica VanderVeenBetsy


How best to close the gap between boards on the sides of a dry sink. The gap is too wide to fill with putty. I am thinking about using small strips of wood about the width of old-fashioned wood rulers. And how do I position the dry sink to allow enough time for the glue to dry?

3 answers
  • Betsy
    on Aug 19, 2019

    Hi Gloria: You know, when you said "about the width of an old fashioned ruler", I thought why not use an old fashioned ruler? That way, when you are making a pie crust or something that needs to be a certain size, the ruler is there! And, it will look really cool:) Anyway, what you can do is use some fast setting waterproof glue like E6000 or Loctite to attach the strip of wood. If you can get under the gap, you can put a wider piece of wood on the bottom of the gap, let it cure and then put another piece on the top to cover the gap. If you can't get under the gap, you can drill holes in the bottom strip, maybe 3 or 4, put strings through the holes, knot them on the bottom, put glue all along the edges of this strip, slip it into the gap, pull it up with the strings and hold it tight by tying the strings to some cans or jars of food. That will hold the strip of wood tight against the counter. After it's dry, cut the strings near the board, put the cans or jars back where you got them, and put your top strip on, using the E6000 or Loctite. You can use just about anything on that first strip, wood, linoleum, anything that is waterproof. You shouldn't have to move the dry sink at all. A picture would be really helpful.

    Good luck

  • Jessica VanderVeen
    on Aug 19, 2019

    I agree with what Betsy said. If you install the ruler just slightly below the top, then you could fill the rest in with putty or caulking

  • V Smith
    on Aug 21, 2019

    Any chance that your dry sink is an antique? If it is you really should just embrace it's "character". If it is a modern take on a dry sink then by all means repair it. If you can get to the inside of the piece you can use construction adhesive (Liquid Nails) to attach a piece of wood, something thin and flat like lathe, to cover the gap. After that cures you can do what you need to do to the outside, wood filler, Bondo, or a piece of wood trim. If you decide to cover the gap on the outside with a wood strip glueing may serve you better than nails because it is very easy to split wood, plus it isn't good to use a hammer on furniture. Use painter's tape to hold your wood in place until the glue cures.

    • Gloria tulip
      on Aug 24, 2019

      Not an antique. Vintage probably 1960. Retrieved it from a person right before it was going to be tossed. Gentleman took it from his truck and he put it in my Volvo. (Driver actually passed me on the way to the "dump" and I followed him.) I refinished it, leaving the top natural wood and painted the sides with chalk paint. At first I put putty between the boards but that looked tacky so I decided to do something else. Painter's tape is what I can use to hold the trim wood in place. I am going to use the wood pieces that are on the bottom of window shades. I have enough on hand. They are a perfect size - right width and right thickness. Thanks for your advice and comments.

Your comment...