Recycled Tin Can Wreath DIY Tutorial

$0

This rusty, country style wreath may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it looks right at home in my rural garden, so I’m sharing it just for fun!

While going through old garden magazines last year, I caught just a glimpse of the side of a tin can wreath hanging in the picture of a garden, so of course I felt the need to make one. I threw a bunch of dog food cans in a tub of water to soak outside for a few weeks and start the rusting process.

After dumping the cans to dry, I creased them in the center with the side of my foot, and drilled a ½” hole through them.

I used twenty eight, 22 oz. cans for my wreath, and a 5 ft. length of heavy fencing wire. Cans are heavy, my wreath still sagged a bit, but the fencing wire helped it hold a circular shape. 

A small loop was bent in one end of the wire to hold the cans as they were threaded on. I did a pattern of three as I threaded .. two with the crease one way, them flipped the third, but they can be put on any way you want. 

After all the cans were threaded on, the wire was cut close to the end, a hook was shaped to go into the loop, and squeezed tight.

That’s it, easy peasy.  

My wreath has been hanging in the garage for the last year, out of sight, out of mind, until now.  An awesome find of a big bird nest, dislodged from one of our pines during a recent thunderstorm, prompted me to adorn my wreath with Mother Nature and hang it in the garden. A step out to the gravel road provided a few stones for makeshift eggs; a little surprise for my four year old granddaughter when she sneaks a peek … she’ll be delighted!

Like diy projects? Visit my blog to see more!

Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Vicky Kloppenborg

• Karen Long

How long did it take for the cans to rust?

• Em

Use a plastic bucket or plastic storage box. Pour white vinegar in and swish item around or sit in and use a spray bottle to get the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Take out of vinegar and spray with hydrogen peroxide. Let bubble. Toss salt on top. Let sit another few minutes rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Some say you can mix all 3 ingredients in a spray bottle but have not tried it that way. Takes about 10 minutes.

• DD53

I love this idea and can’t wait to accumulate enough tin cans to make it. Do you know what gauge wire you used to make the wreath?

• Vicky Kloppenborg

Thank You DD53! I'm sorry, I don't know the gauge. My husband says he's always heard it referred to as #9 wire. What I have came from a salvage pile so I really have no idea what it's original use was, but I do believe it is purchased in a coil. Maybe try a farm supply store.

• Renee Willard

Wondering if a person could use a heavy wire hanger then formed in a circle? Smaller cans perhaps?

• Vicky Kloppenborg

Worth a try Renee! With smaller cans it may be strong enough. The dog food cans I used were heavy and needed the heavier wire. Please, if it works for you, let us readers know.

• Sarah B.

The concept is good but if I was going to do this, I would use tin. These are steel cans. Steel is difficult to work with. Tin cans or even plastic bottles would be much easier. If you want a particular color, spray some paint inside the plastic bottle before you wire them together.

love your creativity!!

• Doreen Kennedy

I love collecting rusted cans. Your wreath is adorable