Recycled Tin Can Wreath DIY Tutorial

$0

This rusty, country style wreath may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it looks right at home in my rural garden, so I’m sharing it just for fun!

While going through old garden magazines last year, I caught just a glimpse of the side of a tin can wreath hanging in the picture of a garden, so of course I felt the need to make one. I threw a bunch of dog food cans in a tub of water to soak outside for a few weeks and start the rusting process.

After dumping the cans to dry, I creased them in the center with the side of my foot, and drilled a ½” hole through them.

recycled tin can wreath diy tutorial

I used twenty eight, 22 oz. cans for my wreath, and a 5 ft. length of heavy fencing wire. Cans are heavy, my wreath still sagged a bit, but the fencing wire helped it hold a circular shape. 

A small loop was bent in one end of the wire to hold the cans as they were threaded on. I did a pattern of three as I threaded .. two with the crease one way, them flipped the third, but they can be put on any way you want. 

recycled tin can wreath diy tutorial
recycled tin can wreath diy tutorial

After all the cans were threaded on, the wire was cut close to the end, a hook was shaped to go into the loop, and squeezed tight.

recycled tin can wreath diy tutorial
recycled tin can wreath diy tutorial

That’s it, easy peasy.  

My wreath has been hanging in the garage for the last year, out of sight, out of mind, until now.  An awesome find of a big bird nest, dislodged from one of our pines during a recent thunderstorm, prompted me to adorn my wreath with Mother Nature and hang it in the garden. A step out to the gravel road provided a few stones for makeshift eggs; a little surprise for my four year old granddaughter when she sneaks a peek … she’ll be delighted!

recycled tin can wreath diy tutorial
recycled tin can wreath diy tutorial

Like diy projects? Visit my blog to see more!

Vicky Kloppenborg

• Randelle

I really like this.

• Karen Long

How long did it take for the cans to rust?

• Vicky Kloppenborg

I put mine in a tote and covered them with water for a couple weeks to get a good start. More rusting has happened since it's been hung, and it will get darker over time. You wouldn't have to pre-rust at all though. It can be made and hung to let time take it's toll.