Linda
Linda
  • Tallahassee, FL

An Cheerful Autumn Wreath Made From A Bike

$35

I love taking old things and making something new. This post is about a child's bike wheel that is made into a cheerful, not so traditional, autumn wreath.

an cheerful autumn wreath made from a bike

Recently I found an old child's bike and I needed a autumn wreath for my front door.

You know that moment when the light bulb goes off in your head? That moment when you see the round shape of a wheel and you connect the need for a wreath with the wheel? Well, that was the beginning of something fun and different.

Here is what you will need to create your very own bicycle wheel autumn wreath.

• old bike or wheel
  • spray paint
  • vise grip or pliers
  • screw driver
  • paper towels
  • artificial flowers, greenery, berries and small pumpkins
  • zip ties
  • glue gun and glue
  • scissors or wire cutters

Step 1: If you are a lucky person and you found just a wheel then you will not need this step but if you found a bike this information will be helpful.

Begin by using your vise grip or pliers to remove the bolts on each side. After the bolts are gone lift the wheel out. It is very easy!

Step 2: Then take a screw driver and wedge it between the tire and the metal rim. Wiggle it in there and drag it around the rim until the black tube inside peaks its head out.

Grab the tube and keep pulling it around until it is all out except for where the air nozzle is located. Next push the air nozzle up into the tube so you can pull the whole tube out.

Now the white tube will fall off of the rim.

Next if there are any reflectors simply remove them by using the screw driver and unscrewing them.

Step 3: Spray paint the wheel with whatever color you like. I used gold because I thought it would compliment the flowers and match my door.

Step 4: Learn from me and take the center piece off before you finish the wreath. LOL!

Simply take two pliers or vise grips and attach them to the nuts on each side of the center of the wheel. Then turn counter clock wise. One will go one direction and the other will go the other direction.

Then unscrew the nut and pull out the center rod. Unless there is another nut then you will have to remove it first then the center rod. You will find a lot of grease and some bearing inside. Bearings look like little bebes. Wipe out the center and remove the bearings. I used a paper towel under the wheel while I did this part.

Step 5: Begin adding the flowers with the greenery. Use the zip ties to attach it to the wheel. I only want my flower arrangement to be on a third of the wheel so I added one sprig.

Step 6: Now add the large flowers. Because I want an asymmetrical wreath I will add three large flowers on one side. Use the zip ties when needed or you can thread the stem into some zip ties that are already on the wheel.

Step 7: Since many of my colors are not the traditional autumn colors now is a good time to add some seasonal items like berries. I tossed in some berries on the end that doesn't have all the flowers.

Step 8: Next fill in with pumpkins. I already had some white pumpkins and a light orange/pink one so I used the glue gun to add the pumpkins all around the flowers.

Step 9: This step is also optional but if you feel like your pumpkins need a little color grab some orange paint and lightly paint them.

Now all you have to do is hang your wreath. I hope you have enjoyed this DIY on how to make a bike wreath.

If you are a more traditional autumn color person simply changing out the flowers for more autumn ones like sunflowers and such.

If you would like more fall decor ideas check out my post. These ideas are more traditional fall decor ideas. I think you will enjoy them too.

Linda

• Mary Distel

How did you protect the glass in the door from getting broken in case someone (child) were to slam the door? Is your wheel wreath anchored in some way? Would love to do this but am worried about that being inevitable in my case. Thank you.

• Mamma

I looked all through the blog. I could not find this project. How did you anchor the ribbon on the inside of the door? What protection is there on the wreath center from not breaking the glass?

• Dee

Hi Hometalkers, regarding the glass issue on the door, it looks like the wood/vinyl frame stops the wreath from hitting the glass. Maybe glue something to the back of the bike wheel as a buffer... how about those felt pads that go on the bottom of chair legs or small corks cut in half?

By the way, this wreath looks awesome!

• Aprile

Well this is really strange; I was in AC Moore today and saw a wreath made from a bicycle wheel for $49.99! and then I saw your project - talk about coincidence. Too funny.

Yours looks much prettier and I am sure u can make it for less than $49.99.

• Merelyn sale
    13 minutes ago

Nice job. I made one last year covered all the way around with colored leaves, acorns, pine cones and small pumpkins Hung on my shed.