DIY Avengers Drawer Pulls

$30
1 Day

I was refurbishing a vintage desk for my grandson, wondering how to incorporate his love for Avengers and still be able to use it when the Avengers phase was over, and all of a sudden I thought… drawer pulls….using the small action figures! He could change them out any time! In fact, I might need to be on the look out for Pokémon characters next.

He really wanted Thor but we couldn’t find him. The lady at our local game store said he was very popular and used in games a lot, so we found Captain America instead. Got a deal there on used ones for $2.50 each!

You can read all about the history of this desk and the lesson learned on it along with seeing the other grandkid desks on our blog post  Vintage Desk Makeovers – A Labor of Love.

The desk, my late brother’s childhood desk, had those old vintage drawer handles with wings (that I think looks like the head of clown), so the first thing we did was remove them. Whew! Scary! But then we had to fill in the holes. We used a piece of dowel rod that we hammered down into the holes then filled with wood putty. This filled up the space and gave a surface for the wood putty to bond to. We let that dry, then sanded the drawers smooth.

We prepped and painted the desk with Missouri Limestone Paint Company chalk-style paint “Coal Shovel. We own this paint company. https://sharsumpaint.com/paint-color-chart/

When completely finished, we sealed it with Varathane water-based Polyurethane, satin finish.

Next, we drilled new holes in the drawers centered between the old ones and a little higher so that the action figures could be centered.

We drilled a hole all the way through the center of each super hero with a drill bit the size of the 2 inch screw we’d be using. We also painted small washers (so they wouldn’t show) and used two or three behind each one so they weren’t flat against the drawer.

That’s pretty much it. We put the screws through the figures, added the washers for spacers as needed and then through the drawers. We secured with the nuts on the back of the drawer.

Here you can see we ran the screw through the figure and the black washers behind it. We then put it through the drawer and secured it with the bolt.

Spider man’s legs and arms still move. Grab hold of him and pull and the drawer will open.

The hulk was the smallest figure so we put him on the narrow center drawer.

Iron man has movable parts, too.

Captain America shows off his profile.

I think my favorite part of this whole project was when my granddaughter joked to her brother, “Liam….Mimi killed the super heroes!”

But seeing them there on the drawers ready to spring into action, I am sure they will rise again to save the world! 

Here’s a few more pics of the finished desk:

Another view in my grandson’s room.

On the sidewalk ready to load.

Another view before we load for delivery.

29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Sharon Strothcamp Sumner