DIY Avengers Drawer Pulls

$30
1 Day

I was refurbishing a vintage desk for my grandson, wondering how to incorporate his love for Avengers and still be able to use it when the Avengers phase was over, and all of a sudden I thought… drawer pulls….using the small action figures! He could change them out any time! In fact, I might need to be on the look out for Pokémon characters next.

diy avengers drawer pulls

He really wanted Thor but we couldn’t find him. The lady at our local game store said he was very popular and used in games a lot, so we found Captain America instead. Got a deal there on used ones for $2.50 each!

diy avengers drawer pulls

You can read all about the history of this desk and the lesson learned on it along with seeing the other grandkid desks on our blog post  Vintage Desk Makeovers – A Labor of Love.

The desk, my late brother’s childhood desk, had those old vintage drawer handles with wings (that I think looks like the head of clown), so the first thing we did was remove them. Whew! Scary! But then we had to fill in the holes. We used a piece of dowel rod that we hammered down into the holes then filled with wood putty. This filled up the space and gave a surface for the wood putty to bond to. We let that dry, then sanded the drawers smooth.

diy avengers drawer pulls

We prepped and painted the desk with Missouri Limestone Paint Company chalk-style paint “Coal Shovel. We own this paint company. https://sharsumpaint.com/paint-color-chart/

When completely finished, we sealed it with Varathane water-based Polyurethane, satin finish.

Next, we drilled new holes in the drawers centered between the old ones and a little higher so that the action figures could be centered.

We drilled a hole all the way through the center of each super hero with a drill bit the size of the 2 inch screw we’d be using. We also painted small washers (so they wouldn’t show) and used two or three behind each one so they weren’t flat against the drawer.

diy avengers drawer pulls

That’s pretty much it. We put the screws through the figures, added the washers for spacers as needed and then through the drawers. We secured with the nuts on the back of the drawer.

diy avengers drawer pulls

Here you can see we ran the screw through the figure and the black washers behind it. We then put it through the drawer and secured it with the bolt.

diy avengers drawer pulls

Spider man’s legs and arms still move. Grab hold of him and pull and the drawer will open.

diy avengers drawer pulls

The hulk was the smallest figure so we put him on the narrow center drawer.

diy avengers drawer pulls

Iron man has movable parts, too.

diy avengers drawer pulls

Captain America shows off his profile.

I think my favorite part of this whole project was when my granddaughter joked to her brother, “Liam….Mimi killed the super heroes!”

But seeing them there on the drawers ready to spring into action, I am sure they will rise again to save the world! 

Here’s a few more pics of the finished desk:

diy avengers drawer pulls

Another view in my grandson’s room.

diy avengers drawer pulls

On the sidewalk ready to load.

diy avengers drawer pulls

Another view before we load for delivery.

Sharon Strothcamp Sumner