Build Your Own X-Leg Outdoor Table

$90
1 Day

One of my bigger and more spontaneous projects this summer was building an X-leg outdoor table. We have a nice deck with a beautiful view and we haven’t really utilized it as much as we wanted to in our house so far.

build your own x leg outdoor table

If you’re looking to build this table, make sure to read this entire post.

This table is so affordable to build. The total of all these supplies listed should cost around $90. And you have a super durable table that will hopefully last you for years to come!

TABLETOP

The tabletop is straightforward, just a bunch of 2x6s and one 2×8 cut to 6′ and pocket holes connect it together. It’s heavy though! I had to move the legs to the deck separately from top because otherwise it would be too heavy

build your own x leg outdoor table

X-LEGS

I ultimately followed the  plans for the X-legs from Rogue Engineer, this table designed by my friend Ashley from Cherished Bliss. So to build the legs, I followed these plans exactly.

build your own x leg outdoor table

Using two 4×4 beams cut to length on a miter, I had to mark out the exact spots for making a notch in each one. This is where you just follow those  Rogue Engineer plans because they are super clear and well marked out.

build your own x leg outdoor table

When you make a notch, you have to make a bunch of side by side cuts like this. You can use a circular saw but I prefer my trusty miter saw. Then you use a chisel and/or a Dremel/Sawzall to get all the wood out.

build your own x leg outdoor table

Put the notches together and you have an X! Secure them together with wood glue and screws.

build your own x leg outdoor table

I topped them off with a 2×4 with the ends trimmed on an angle just so it wasn’t so boxy but you could totally skip this step. I screwed them into place with 3 2 1/2″ wood screws.

build your own x leg outdoor table

ATTACHING THE LEGS TO THE TABLETOP

I took the pipes I had and built this framework using some 2x4s. I drilled holes in the 2x4s using a 15/16th spade bit. I used some Gorilla super glue and put the pipes in the holes. Then I used a mallet to bang the framework into place so it was definitely snug. I also screwed the 2×4’s into the tabletop with 2 1/2″ outdoor screws.

build your own x leg outdoor table

This added a lot of stability to the table but you could easily make this framework using 2x4s and pocket holes rather than pipe. I just wanted to use the pipe because I had bought it and didn’t have extra 2×4.

build your own x leg outdoor table

The final step was to make the trestle, which I did out of a 2×4 and pocket holes. It was a good fit and once that was in place, that was a good, solid table. No wobbling at all!

build your own x leg outdoor table

I finished the table by staining the legs with Rustoleum Carbon Gray which matches  my outdoor couches I built. 

build your own x leg outdoor table

I LOVE my x-leg outdoor table. It’s so fun to have a place to sit and eat and enjoy each other’s company in the evening, admiring the view and feeling the breeze. 

For more DIY tutorials, visit https://www.honeybearlane.com.

Honeybear Lane

• Dava McCall

What color/items did you use to finish the top? Love the look of the table❤️

• Heje

What color is the tabletop? Your table looks great!

• Honeybear Lane

Thanks! I did a method of weathered wood by first white washing and then doing a quick wipe of the carbon gray stain, followed by another coat of white wash.