How should I work around an open shelf with a center support?

I am in the process of planning a winter project and revamping a 1979 kitchen! There is one upper cabinet I want to take doors off and leave open BUT it has a support down the center that holds two shelves. How stupid would it look to leave that support or should I take the entire thing off and put in open shelving? Another question; with open shelving how much weight can you put on each shelf? I am so frustrated and I haven't even started yet. HELP!!

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Aug 21, 2019

Hi Sandy! Pics would help but I don't see why the support in the back would be a problem. Are you painting everything out? When it comes to open shelving and how much it can hold it totally depends on the brackets you choose to put it up with. You can purchase brackets that hide well or make a statement etc.

https://www.hometalk.com/43407629/replacing-my-barnwood-shelf-with-two-open-shelves-above-my-kitchen-sin

• See 3 previous

Glad I could help! I'm so impressed with how nice they look like that! The one where they painted out the shelf color in the interior color so the shelves almost disappear I think is really cool.

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Aug 21, 2019

In a kitchen shaving it is recommended you use plywood with wood edging not solid or paertical board . shelf support every 24 to 30 inches max. Supports put into studs.

• Maura White Maura White on Aug 21, 2019

I love the open shelves so much in the pic above that I'd just put those up rather than try to make an old cupboard look good - IMO!