Asked on Aug 21, 2019

How can I get rid of ant hills in my yard?

BetsyLynn SorrellKathy DeStafino
+1

• Teresa West

I saved my used coffee grounds. Poured grounds in the hole of hill, knocked down the hill, flattened by walking on it, spread rest of grounds on top & around. The hill was in my dog pen. Dogs checked out the grounds but left it alone. I also put a layer under their dishes & ants stayed out of the bowls. Reapply as needed. It has worked very well & have not had another hill in well over a year.

• Kathy DeStafino

You can scoop a bit of from one and drop on the other, mixing them up. They will kill each other.

Bore a hole in the center and add boiling water.

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

Sevin granules and a bit of water.

• Lynn Sorrell

AMDRO ANT BAIT granules work. most home remedies do nothing but kill the ants you see, if they even do that, most just disrupt the scent/trail/or the top of the mound/colony,causing ants just to move openings to colonies underground. FYI most DIY solutions are only repellents/deterents. MYTH: Cinnamon kills ants.

TRUTH: Ants don’t like cinnamon but unfortunately it doesn’t kill or repel them.

MYTH: Vinegar kills ants.

TRUTH: Vinegar just removes the smell/trace of ants. While it may help confuse or throw off the rest of the colony, vinegar alone might not be enough to rid your home of these bothersome insects.

MYTH: Boiling water repels ants.

TRUTH: If – and only if – the water is boiling will it kill the ants that it is poured on. However, it will not repel future ants from invading your home.

MYTH: Ants won’t cross a chalk/powder line.

TRUTH: A chalk/powder line may temporarily stop the ants (it’s the smell that “ disrupts the scent trail”) but it won’t be long before they figure out a way around the chalk/powder. We probably don’t have to tell you, but ants are very persistent creatures!

MYTH: Uncooked grains, like oatmeal,cornmeal,jiffy muffin mix or grits, will kill ants by expanding in their stomachs and then exploding.

TRUTH: Despite popular belief, there is no evidence that ants can be killed off by dumping grains in or around the “hive.” What we do know is that only the oldest members of an ant colony can digest solid food. The adult, worker, and reproductive ants, can only digest liquids.Ants take organic matter listed above & store it in the nest.

And the biggest ant control myth of all?

As long as you kill or remove the ants you can see, your problem is solved.Diatomaceous earth does kill them but only ants that crawl thru it not the colony. To be really be rid of them I suggest either Boric Acid mixed with cornmeal or Amdro Ant Bait granules sprinkle a little of the bait besides trail ( not directly on it they will get disrupted and leave or not pick up bait)they carry bait to nest and it kills entire colony. Amdro works fast 2-24 hrs. huge colony gone.it is poison as is Boric Acid but just cover with something til the next day, don't mess with/block their trail tho' so they carry bait back to colony quickly.if you use liquid bait it kills only the working ants you see before they get back to colony, so the trail is gone then they just start a new one to & from colony elsewhere.So you only think you have killed them off. Another method is borax mixed with powdered confectioners sugar,this takes a little longer than boric acid or Amdro(best,fastest). Just use a little of the bait it doesn't take much, then clean up what is left after colony has been killed off. I put a milk crate, flower pot or saucer over the bait (just make sure it is not blocking their trail) to keep anything out of bait except ants. works indoors or outdoors.

Hi Barbara: This is what I used for my ant problem,it works for me and it may work for you, too.

Make a mix of 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 powdered sugar. Mix well and put around the spots they are in your garden, or inside your home, it's harmless to people and pets. For outside use, you can put it in a bottle, like a pill bottle or something like that. Cut a hole on the edge of the cap, and lay the bottle on it's side so the ants can come in and get the mix. This way, it stays dry if it should rain. They will take it back to the nest and it should kill them. I'd keep it out there all season if you can. The mix makes a gas and the ants can't pass gas, so it kills them. Anything else that eats it will just taste the baking soda and say "Yuck" and walk off. It won't hurt anything that can pass gas, so it's completely safe. It helps to know what type of ant you are trying to get rid of, too. Try this site, scrolling down to see the different types of ants and how to deal with them. https://www.thespruce.com/ant-control-4127879

Good luck.