Asked on Aug 21, 2019

How can I make a wall unit from an IKEA bookcase?

FrugalFamilyTimes.comJewellmartinKelli L. Milligan
+1

Making a wall unit out of okra bookcases

• Lifestyles Homes

OK, this shouldn’t be hard. Do you need to understand the IKEA instructions better? Or do you need to keep it from racking? Are you looking for pieces to add to your IKEA piece to make this work?

Please send us a picture thank you.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Are you wanting to build them in or just build them?

• Jewellmartin

You’ve already got it. Just find the studs on the wall in question, and measure the same distance between studs on the back of the bookcase. If the undersides of the shelves and the base are already stained, Super! If not, stain them to match the rest, or paint the bookcase in new colors. Attach 4-8 hangers onto the back, using a level or yardstick to assure you place the hangers evenly. (I use glue plus little nails to hold the hangers securely.) Measure carefully and install nails or whatever else is needed on the wall to hold the bookcase. If you have any doubts about the stability of the bookcase, you can add brackets with screws under each shelf and the top and bottom of the case. This should give you lots of new storage. (I have also stacked bookcases and secured the top one to the wall. Best wishes! Jewell