Natalie
Natalie
  • Duluth, MN

How to Easily Paint Flowers on Furniture

$100

This makeover is definitely one of my very favorites! I'll be honest that I was nervous about stenciling on the flowers, but it all came together very easy!

how to easily paint flowers on furniture

This is what the dresser looked like before the makeover.

The drawers weren't working very well, the feet were broken and it was just all over a sad piece of furniture.

I didn't care much for the flare on the feet anyway, so I knocked off the flares and then sounded the legs into a round shape. They look SO much better now!

Then I prepped the dresser for paint. This is honestly the most important part to any furniture makeover. If you skip this step you very well will have a painted finish that scratches off really easily, or even peels off! Make sure to scuff sand and clean your furniture really well before painting.

After prep, I painted it with a beautiful light blue paint.

Click here for the exact supplies that I used in this makeover!

Once the paint was dry I went to work with the stencils to create a floral pattern on the front of the dresser.

I cut the stencil up into smaller sections so they were easier to work with.

Then I played around with where I wanted to place them until I got a little idea of how I wanted them.

One of the best tricks to painting with a stencil is to use a removable adhesive to keep your stencil completely attached to the dresser.

So I gave the back of the stencils a light spray with the adhesive, waited a minute per the instructions on the can, and placed the stencils right where I wanted them. The spray was strong enough to hold the stencils in place, but not too strong that it made removing them difficult. And it didn't leave any residue on the dresser.

Then I got the smallest amount of white paint onto my brush, dabbed more of it off into a paper towel, and then lightly dabbed the paint into the stencil. You really don't want very much paint on the brush or else the paint will bleed under the stencil and create a blob of paint that just doesn't look good.

If you run out of paint while painting the stencil, just reload your brush with the tiniest amount of paint again. it really is super important to not have too much paint on it.

I immediately pulled the stencils off, and decided where to place it next.

Then I continued the process until the front of the dresser was full of florals.

I ended up going for an all over look, though I'll admit that wasn't my initial plan. But I couldn't be more happy with how it turned out!

Click here for many more tips and tricks on how to stencil, including the exact supplies that I used for this makeover to make it super simple!

• Blue Paint
  • White Paint
  • Flower Stencil

Natalie

• Judy Lynette Mayes

How do you avoid smearing the wet paint when you pull the stencil off? Or when you reposition it for the next flower? Do you need to clean the paint off the stencil to avoid smears? What is the stencil made of?

• Nina Li
      Yesterday

I found out that it’s easier to stencil with just a little bit of paint and a steady hand holding the stencil. Too much paint causes bleeding. It’s not that hard.