Wendy W
Wendy W
  • Milford, OH

Storage in Small Half Bathroom

We needed a space to store bathroom supplies, such as extra toilet paper, toothbrushes, & hair accessories in our tiny powder room. We used the space above the toilet to create floating shelves to hold all the necessities.
storage in small half bathroom, bathroom ideas, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, urban living, We began by making wooden braces nailing them into the wall
We began by making wooden braces & nailing them into the wall.
storage in small half bathroom, bathroom ideas, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, urban living, Then we cut some finished plywood for the shelves my husband used a router to create the cap for the front of the shelves Depending on how think you want the shelves you could probably use a piece of trellis wood for the end
Then we cut some finished plywood for the shelves & my husband used a router to create the cap for the front of the shelves. Depending on how think you want the shelves, you could probably use a piece of trellis wood for the end.
storage in small half bathroom, bathroom ideas, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, urban living, Next we installed the top bottoms of the shelves by nailing them to the braces Finally we nailed the fronts to the shelves
Next, we installed the top & bottoms of the shelves by nailing them to the braces. Finally, we nailed the fronts to the shelves.
storage in small half bathroom, bathroom ideas, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, urban living, Floating shelves provide lots of storage in a tiny bathroom
Floating shelves provide lots of storage in a tiny bathroom.
storage in small half bathroom, bathroom ideas, diy, how to, shelving ideas, storage ideas, urban living

To see more: http://designedtodwell.blogspot.com/2012/06/handy-half-bath.html

• Kathi

I don't see the strips. Where did they go?

• Kathy Gydus

The picture of the strips was sideways...notice the top of the toilet on the right side of the picture...lol, I was wondering where they went myself.

• Jean Holt

They are in between the 2 shelf pieces of plywood.

• Ptc12497141

What about all tile bathroom

• Wendy W

I'm sure you could, but I don't have experience drilling through tile.

• Adele

There are special bits for drilling through tile. It prevents cracking, chipping or any other disaster.

• Wanda Concovia Wright

How can I put shelves on a flat wall with no side walls to fasten them onto?
    • Wendy W

We have never done that, but you could use some "L" brackets & place a wood shelf on top. To make floating shelves, I believe you frame out the braces (similar to framing a wall), attach the brace frame to the wall, & then add the wood to the top, bottom, & sides. I'm sure you could find better detailed instructions online, but I think that's it in a nutshell! Hope that helps!

• Sandra Frosch

To make floating shelves.

https://youtu.be/ZeyLj0Ppukc

• Lois

how can i attach shelves to tile walls
    • Wendy W

I have never attached anything to tile, although I'm sure it could be done.

• `claudette

How did you nail the shelves in to the braces?

• Ega8682450

Great job and idea. Im going to do this in my guest bathroom (tiny). Like you my toilet and door is white so I am painting the shelves white too.

• B.I.Green

Beautiful! So much nicer than the pre-fab metal/glass ones!