Loretta
Loretta
  • Crofton, MD
Asked on Aug 24, 2019

How can I repair water damage to my ceiling?

LorettaTinyshoesBetsy
+3

I flooded my bathroom and the water made several yellow spots on the ceiling in the dining room. I am concerned that the ceiling might fall down. Not sure if I should call the painter to fix or will I need to replace the entire ceiling

• Better consult a professional and make sure it's safe before you proceed. Try Angieslist.com to find someone in your area.

If the ceiling is dry and not soft to the touch and only stained. Just prime the spots with Kilz primer and touch up paint ( if you have some) or completely paint.

• Kate

Use an oil based primer.

Hi Loretta: Check to see if the ceiling is soft. In order to do this, get a straight pin or needle and poke it into an area of the ceiling that you know is sturdy. Then, go to the wet areas and do the same thing. If the pin goes in easily, you may need to replace those areas. If it's still strong, then prime and paint. If you are going to paint the entire ceiling, get some of that paint that goes on pink or purple and dries white. That way, you know where you left off. Don't have a fan on while you are painting or the paint will dry too quickly. It usually takes about 15 minutes, and is a real time saver! If you are going to patch the areas yourself, if they are bad, let us know and we can tell you how to do that. Good luck

• Tinyshoes

Loretta....I too would recommend a contractor just to free your mind in case there is more damage than you can actually see. Check with family and friends as word of mouth is sometimes best to find a good contractor that will do good work and not charge a arm and a leg. Good luck!

• Loretta

Thank You