It's easiest to follow along with the VIDEO tutorial than try to read how to create this :)
Paint Van Gogh’s Starry Night Mural on an Old Fence
Learn how to paint a beautiful mural of Van Gogh’s Starry Night with just a few colors– even if you’re not an artist! There's a video below that I highly recommend you watch rather than trying to follow written instructions.
- Gather mural painting materials
- Prep your "canvas"
- Transfer the line drawing onto the canvas (Video Reference Time = 1:15)
- Block in the color (2:10)
- Paint stars and moon (3:00)
- Add detail (3:30)
- Distress edges (optional) (4:35)
- Seal your mural (4:50)
- Hang it up (optional) (5:20)
You can paint this mural wherever you'd like to. I used an old fence that I sanded, cleaned and primed.
Before painting, I set up the fence (canvas) on two chairs covered with cardboard so I didn't make a mess. It was also easier to paint at this level because I didn't have to crouch down sooooo much.
As promised here are the colors I used. I'd recommend getting EXTERIOR acrylic paint so I chose match colors from Benjamin Moore (BM) paint. If you use regular acrylic paint you'll have to seal this really good when you're done.
Blocking in some color.
Adding in the backdrop for the stars
Adding detail to the sky
Here's the final result :)
I used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane in Satin to seal this. I put about 8 coats on it. I'd still recommend using an outdoor paint rather than regular painters acrylic paint like I did... it will hold up better.
How it looks hung up on my shed from the back porch.
- Starry Night Line Drawing (https://www.justcolor.net/art/coloring-art/?image=art__coloring-adult-)
- Starry Night Reference Painting (https://www.vangoghgallery.com/painting/starry-night.html)
- Reference Video (https://www.prettypurpledoor.com/paint-starry-night-mural/#video)
Top Hometalk Projects
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!Go