Easy Twin Headboard and Platform Bed

$65

Looking for an easy modern farmhouse headboard? You can build this platform bed and headboard for $65 and no special tools. You can also customize the colors to match your home.

When our twin boys started crawling out of their cribs, we knew it was time to move them into big boy beds. We wanted them to be relatively low to the ground for safety.

After searching a multitude of stores and not finding what we wanted, we decided to build our own.

Materials Needed for the Platform Beds:

• (3) 2x6x8 boards (two cut to 76″ and one cut to 43″)
  • (4) 2x4x8 boards (two 40″ and three 73″)
  • 3/4″ plywood (40″ x 76″)

To get started, I cut and painted my 2x6 boards. I then assembled them in a U shape to form a 43" wide frame.

I then attached the 2x4s on the inside of the 2x6 frame. I also added a center support for the plywood to lay on.

I cut the 3/4" plywood to fit the inside of the 2x6s so that it would rest on the 2x4s. You could always use 1x4 furring strips instead of plywood, however, out mattresses are foam so we opted for plywood.

It was that simple to build a sturdy platform bed. Down the road, we may add feet to raise the beds up.

Products need to build the Headboard:

• (1) 2x4x10 (cut to 36″ and two 42″ boards)
  • 1/2″ plywood (41″W x 36″ T)
  • (5) 1×4″ Furring Strips

I created a U shape out of my 2x4s making sure my shortest board was in the center creating a 43" wide frame. I used a Kreg jig to attach them together, but it could be down with corner braces or screwing the 2x4s directly to the plywood.

I laid the 1/2" plywood on top of the U shaped frame and screwed it together. I made sure my plywood was about an inch inset from the edge of the frame so that you wouldn't see it when it was finished.

I flipped the headboard frame over and sprayed it black. I also stained the furring strips 3 different colors.

I then attached the furring strips to the plywood with brad nails.

We then screwed the headboards to the platform beds.

We love how the beds turned out!

Becky | Boxwood Design Co

• Sherry

What about a queen size head board and bed frame

• Pamela Pritchard Allen

We did it by stacking 2 sets of waterbed drawers on top of each other on the floor, screwing plywood on that, then putting the mattress on top. So just like the boys' beds but with an extra support board or two!

The only problem we have is mattress slides around a bit.

• Bekah Holmes McDaniel

Did you make the cute initial signs above the beds or purchase them somewhere?

• Becky | Boxwood Design Co

Hi Bekah! I actually made them. I had the black letters from their newborn pictures and decided to use them (originally purchased at Hobby Lobby). I used left over furring strips from the bed to build a simple square and then I attached the aluminum from Menards on the backside. I used metal screws to attach the letters to the front. It was super easy!

• Sheri

you said you attached the 2x4 to the 2x6. Did you nail the two pieces together?

• Erica

I'm totally doing this for my boys like right now... Not twins but 13 months apart, Irish twins.. they are very in to superheros so I think I'm going to modge podge comics on just the letters on the wall.. this is perfect for our space and I have been searching for abt a year to find something functional and achieveable!! So excited.. thank you so much

• Bekah Holmes McDaniel

does she say what stain colors she used? I cant see it.