Wood Shutters

$50

After I shared my DIY window mullions I had quite a few people recommend adding shutters to our window. I’ve wanted shutters for a long time and finally decided it was time to make my own to help complete my ‘weathered cottage’ look.

wood shutters

wood shutters

we used 6- 1x6 boards and then planned to use a 1x4 to go across the top and bottom of each shutter.

I decided to stain the wood prior to assembly because I figured it would be easier than trying to get the stain in each nook and cranny once they were built.

wood shutters

To assemble, we used 1 1/4” screws, a screw driver, a level, tape measure, and paint stir sticks.

wood shutters

We placed the paint stir sticks in between the boards to ensure the gap between boards was even.

wood shutters

We cut our 1x4 board (ours measured 16 5/8”) and placed them 12” from the top and bottom.

wood shutters

Once we ensured the board was straight/level we used one screw in each board to hold it together. (3 screws total)

wood shutters

I’d like to note that building these shutters was incredibly simple!

wood shutters

Because I was excited and too anxious to wait until we had time to hang them, I set the shutter in my flower bed to get an idea what it would look like once it was in place. 🙃😂 (anyone else impatient when it comes to projects?? Nope? Just me?)

wood shutters

Its amazing what shutters can do to make a home look finished.

wood shutters

Check out more of what I do on my Instagram- the_buck_bungalow

• Debbie

How did you hang them?

• Susan Gray

Your house is so cute! Great curb appeal.

• Bob Murphy

Thanks for posting this. We want to do the same but painted. Can you tell me how you hung them. We have a stucco home. Thanks again. The house looks great.👍

• You’re so nice! Thanks! We used a hammer drill to drill into the mortar and then used tapon concrete anchors to secure them to the house. I’m not sure if that’s the right approach for stucco.. but that’s what we found to work on brick. Hope that helps and good luck!

• Jodi

Love the shutters! And gota tell you I'm so happy to see another lady using the Matrix by Black & Decker. They were genius in designing this multi tool and its easy change out attachments. A little smaller than the bigger more heavy duty tools really built for men in construction trades. This tool has never let me down even on long projects on battery strength or have any of the other attachments I've had to use. Your blog is great! I love your projects.

• Linda
    3 hours ago

We have a dark red brick house, but I'd like to see what we could do with idea. Maybe using a dark green paint, since that's the front door color. Now if we can just bear to cut back the

rhododendron bushes that have really grownup by the windows!

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow
      4 minutes ago

Oh wow! Your home and yard are beautiful!! (With or without shutters!) but I think green or maybe even white would look lovely😊