Wood Shutters

$50

After I shared my DIY window mullions I had quite a few people recommend adding shutters to our window. I’ve wanted shutters for a long time and finally decided it was time to make my own to help complete my ‘weathered cottage’ look.

we used 6- 1x6 boards and then planned to use a 1x4 to go across the top and bottom of each shutter.

I decided to stain the wood prior to assembly because I figured it would be easier than trying to get the stain in each nook and cranny once they were built.

To assemble, we used 1 1/4” screws, a screw driver, a level, tape measure, and paint stir sticks.

We placed the paint stir sticks in between the boards to ensure the gap between boards was even.

We cut our 1x4 board (ours measured 16 5/8”) and placed them 12” from the top and bottom.

Once we ensured the board was straight/level we used one screw in each board to hold it together. (3 screws total)

I’d like to note that building these shutters was incredibly simple!

Because I was excited and too anxious to wait until we had time to hang them, I set the shutter in my flower bed to get an idea what it would look like once it was in place. 🙃😂 (anyone else impatient when it comes to projects?? Nope? Just me?)

Its amazing what shutters can do to make a home look finished.

Check out more of what I do on my Instagram- the_buck_bungalow

15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try

• Susan Gray

Your house is so cute! Great curb appeal.

• Bob Murphy

Thanks for posting this. We want to do the same but painted. Can you tell me how you hung them. We have a stucco home. Thanks again. The house looks great.👍

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

You’re so nice! Thanks! We used a hammer drill to drill into the mortar and then used tapon concrete anchors to secure them to the house. I’m not sure if that’s the right approach for stucco.. but that’s what we found to work on brick. Hope that helps and good luck!

• Mia Lugar

Am I the only one who thinks they should be the same width as the window they're beside (those narrow ones)and thus give the illusion they actually have a function to close over the window?