Thrift Store Challenge - Furniture Makeover

$40

I have been participating in a monthly Thrift Store Challenge with a group of very creative bloggers. It is always a lot of fun! I was on the hunt for the perfect table that would fit nicely in my dining room. While out thrifting, I stopped at our local Goodwill store and spotted this table for $19.99! I believe it was an old TV Stand.

thrift store challenge furniture makeover

Here are the Steps I took to Revamp this Piece

Step 1, Purchase Paint and Supplies

I went to Home Depot to chose a paint color. This is always overwhelming for me with the endless color choices!!! However, I found one I liked right away! I was looking for a navy-ish, nautical-ish blue and picked the color, English Channel. When I told the man at Home Depot that I was painting a piece of furniture, he suggested using Behr Stain Blocking Paint and Primer in One. This stuff is pretty awesome and did not disappoint. I have used Chalk Paint in the past for painting furniture and that works well too.

While there, I picked up some tack cloths, and rollers for my small paint roller. I already had all the other supplies I needed at home.

Step 2, Sand and Clean…

I gave the entire piece a light sanding using my hand sander. You can see there was some damage on the top, but I wasn’t worried about that since I knew I’d be painting over it. Please make sure you wear a mask and safety goggles when sanding. Once done, I used a tack cloth to clean the entire piece thoroughly. Tack cloths are awesome as they pick up everything, but a rag would work fine too.

Step 3, Paint…

Once it was sanded lightly and cleaned and the knobs were taken off, I began to paint. This is the longest step. It took about 3 coats. I used my roller on the big pieces, and a paint brush when needed on the smaller areas. Here it is below, after 1 coat.

After I was done painting and it was all dry, I used one coat of this Minwax Satin Polycrylic Protective Finish.

Step 4, New Knobs and Styling…

I made sure to wait until the top coat was completely dried before I installed these adorable nautical knobs I found on Amazon. Then, my husband and I carried it inside.

Ta-da, A Perfect Fit!

Below is the finished product. I am thrilled with how it turned out, and it wasn’t hard to do AT ALL. It just took time (about 3-4 hours total), patience, and a little elbow grease.

It is a perfect fit and gives me lots of extra storage. Overall, not to shabby for $19.99! What do you think?

The House house

• Lea Barnhart

That is beautiful. How do you manage to paint the inside and back of the open shelves? I always have trouble with brush marks. Thank you.

• Lea Barnhart

Thank you all for the great tips. I’m fixing to redo a piece that I’ve had for a while and have been dreading. Now I think I’m ready to tackle this. Thanks again.

• Mimi Powers Morgan

What is the color you used?

• Aunt
    9 hours ago

What grit sand paper did you use?