Thrift Store Challenge - Furniture Makeover

$40

I have been participating in a monthly Thrift Store Challenge with a group of very creative bloggers. It is always a lot of fun! I was on the hunt for the perfect table that would fit nicely in my dining room. While out thrifting, I stopped at our local Goodwill store and spotted this table for $19.99! I believe it was an old TV Stand.

Here are the Steps I took to Revamp this Piece

Step 1, Purchase Paint and Supplies

I went to Home Depot to chose a paint color. This is always overwhelming for me with the endless color choices!!! However, I found one I liked right away! I was looking for a navy-ish, nautical-ish blue and picked the color, English Channel. When I told the man at Home Depot that I was painting a piece of furniture, he suggested using Behr Stain Blocking Paint and Primer in One. This stuff is pretty awesome and did not disappoint. I have used Chalk Paint in the past for painting furniture and that works well too.

While there, I picked up some tack cloths, and rollers for my small paint roller. I already had all the other supplies I needed at home.

Step 2, Sand and Clean…

I gave the entire piece a light sanding using my hand sander. You can see there was some damage on the top, but I wasn’t worried about that since I knew I’d be painting over it. Please make sure you wear a mask and safety goggles when sanding. Once done, I used a tack cloth to clean the entire piece thoroughly. Tack cloths are awesome as they pick up everything, but a rag would work fine too.

Step 3, Paint…

Once it was sanded lightly and cleaned and the knobs were taken off, I began to paint. This is the longest step. It took about 3 coats. I used my roller on the big pieces, and a paint brush when needed on the smaller areas. Here it is below, after 1 coat.

After I was done painting and it was all dry, I used one coat of this Minwax Satin Polycrylic Protective Finish.

Step 4, New Knobs and Styling…

I made sure to wait until the top coat was completely dried before I installed these adorable nautical knobs I found on Amazon. Then, my husband and I carried it inside.

Ta-da, A Perfect Fit!

Below is the finished product. I am thrilled with how it turned out, and it wasn’t hard to do AT ALL. It just took time (about 3-4 hours total), patience, and a little elbow grease.

It is a perfect fit and gives me lots of extra storage. Overall, not to shabby for $19.99! What do you think?

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
The House house

• Lea Barnhart

That is beautiful. How do you manage to paint the inside and back of the open shelves? I always have trouble with brush marks. Thank you.

• Lea Barnhart

Thank you all for the great tips. I’m fixing to redo a piece that I’ve had for a while and have been dreading. Now I think I’m ready to tackle this. Thanks again.

• Mimi Powers Morgan

What is the color you used?

• Dl.5660408

Beautiful blue color❤️ I was wondering if your piece was all wood or MDF?

• Auntmayor

What grit sand paper did you use?