Hanging Wood Shutters on Brick

$10

My husband and I looked for different ways to hang our DIY wood shutters onto our brick house, and there were quite a few different options that we came across. It got slightly confusing, so I thought I’d share what we decided to do and what worked for us.

I’d like to note that we are not pros, but this is what we found to work for us.

We started by holding the shutter up where we were planning to hang it on the house. From there, we marked the shutter where the mortar line on the house was.

(When you hang shutters on a brick house, you should always drill into the mortar.)

My husband then drilled a hole into the wood which would be used to drill pilot holes into the mortar.

Once the holes were drilled into the shutter, I held it up to the house while my husband used a hammer drill to go through the holes in the shutter and then drill into the mortar.

It’s important for your pilot holes to go as deep or deeper than the length of your screws you plan to use to hold the shutter.

Once the pilot holes had been drilled into the mortar, he used tapcon 2” concrete anchors to secure the shutter to the house. We did this twice at the top of the shutter and twice at the bottom.

We prefer a more rustic look, and decided not to cover the screws with wood filler. If you’d prefer to have the screws hidden, just make sure you bury them into the wood enough to cover with a wood filler and then stain to match your shutter.

The addition of shutters has really given our house a more completed look and we could not be happier!

• Hammer drill  (Home depot)
  • Concrete drill bit  (Home Depot)
  • Drill  (Home depot)