How to Grow Carrots in Milk Cartons!

$100

We live in a windy and cold city, so when planting vegetables we usually have to plant them inside and then attempt to move them out.. and fingers crossed! Hope they'll survive!

Our family loves carrots, but the first time I ever attempted growing carrots, it totally failed! To be honest we ended up with some seriously strange and odd-looking carrots.

The problem was that I planted them inside in small starter pots and then attempted to move them out – big mistake!

We ended up disturbing the roots too much--- > crazy looking carrots!

So a great solution to this is to plant the carrots in milk cartons, and then plant them out when they are large enough.

I’ve grown carrots in milk cartons for two years in a row now, with great success! Here's the tutorial.

If your milk cartons have a plastic spout like mine, cut off the top end of the milk carton.

Then you need to use a hobby knife and cut out a small square in each bottom corner of your cartons. If you want pictures and details on how to do this, you'll find everything here.

Time to finally plant our carrot seeds! Fill your milk cartons with some soil just in the bottom part of the milk carton, press down and compress the soil. Doing this will help the soil not spill out when you, later on, have to remove the bottom part of the carton.

Fill up with more soil until you’re 1 cm (0.4 inches) left to the top edge of the milk carton - be sure to check the info on the back of your carrot seed pack (!)

Spread out the seeds evenly, and then cover with more soil.

Then you’ll just need to let them grow! Be sure they get enough sunlight and enough water!

I like to grow carrots in milk cartons and have them nearby, so I plant them out in a raised garden bed right on my terrace. For full instructions and detailed pictures, check out the full blog post here.

After planting the carrots out, they usually need some time to adjust to the climate outdoors. Just make sure to keep an extra eye on them the first couple of weeks.

And then before you know it, you’ll have plenty of super fresh and homegrown carrots right in your backyard!

Organzia

• Toni Buccarelli

I’m wondering if I can do this indoors year round if I plant them & left in a sunny spot ?

• Organzia

I havn't tried it myself, (autumn and winter period in Norway we just don't get enough sunlight unfortunately) But as suggested above, why not try planting just a couple to see how it goes? :D And as Fanny suggest, maybe try out a shorter variety carrot.

• Granny Jan

I want to plant my vegetables in 20 gallon plastic , cattle/salt, tubs. I plan to mix sand, good black dirt and compost to plant in. Should I cut holes near the bottom of the tubs to allow for drainage or should I place large rocks in the bottom?

• Sandy Doyle

The side holes & coffee filters are great ideas! Rater than "heavy rocks" in any planter, try shipping peanuts. They are light, and take up room like rocks, for filtering water for roots.

• Claudia Moore

What is covered for $100.00? Thank you

• Organzia

Hi Claudia! That should cover the cost for 4 x raised garden beds (I've stacked two on top of each other) Like you see in my pictures. And we used 11-12 bags of 40liter (10.5 gallons) soil to fill up the double raised garden beds. And also a hobby knife, and carrot seeds. I live in Norway, so the price is a roughly what we paid for everything here :)

• Lynne

awesome idea!! i want to try this, and thanks

• Janice

Going to try this, plus the tops are so pretty to look at while the carrots are forming below the surface. Thanks for sharing!