Louise P
Louise P
  • Utica, NY

Have six hibiscus plants that are not blooming. They were planted last summer- were in bloom

Walter ReevesDouglas HuntLouise P
+3

• Walter Reeves

Since you're in NY, I'm guessing these are not tropical hibiscus but one of the hardy species. Do you know which one you have?

• Chrissi

Put a good plant food on them for flowers & give it lots of water, I have one that has been thru being run over w/a lawn mower, trampled on by the guys who installed my fence, zapped by frost in early spring & most recently attacked by Japanese Beetles. It was looking like it wasn't going to make it, but after feeding it & giving it lots of water I now have 6 buds about to open on it.

Do you have them in a sunny spot, Louise? Have you applied any fertilizer?

• Louise P

Thanks to Walter. The plants came from Garden Dept. @Home Depot so I am assuming they were not tropical. Also thanks to Chrissi. Plants are watered daily. Will take your advise about plant food! Douglas, they receive afternoon (west) sun. I will check out fertilizer & food. Thank you. This is my first time doing the email 'thing' so I hope you all receive this. Louise

Louise, make sure you do not use a fertilizer high in nitrogen. It will promote foliage growth at the expense of flowers.

• Walter Reeves

hmmmm....I recently saw a tropical tree fern for sale at my local HD that was labeled "Perennial". I'm sure it's perennial in some places, just not in Atlanta. I'd still really like to know what the label on your plant says.