Updating an Old Ceiling Fan

$15

We had an old, out-dated ceiling fan in one of our bedrooms and I wanted(needed) to give it a new look. We could have gone out and bought a new fixture, but I thought it would be more fun and less expensive if I gave it an upgrade. With a little paint and elbow grease, I managed to turn this out-dated ceiling fan into something a bit more modern.

updating an old ceiling fan

This is the original look - cream colors on the fan and base with shiny brass and gold details on the fan blades.

updating an old ceiling fan

The first step was to remove all of the easily removeable pieces. The lightbulbs, fan blades, and motor cover. Then I gave everything a thorough cleaning.

updating an old ceiling fan

I had different colors for the metals pieces, so I removed those from the blades and wiped down all of the pieces.

updating an old ceiling fan

I didn't like the points at the end of the fan blades, so I used a miter saw to give them a straight edge. Then I sanded each blade to round out the corners and smooth it out.

updating an old ceiling fan

The fan blades got two coats of Rustoleum Chalked Paint in Aged Gray. The metal pieces got two coats of Rustoleum Metallic Flat Antique Nickel.

updating an old ceiling fan

I used the same Aged Gray on the base of the ceiling fan. Before I started using the spray paint, I covered everything around and below the fan with plastic. I also made sure to fully open all three windows in that bedroom. It is very important to make sure you have proper ventilation when using spray paint in an enclosed space.

updating an old ceiling fan

It was tricky to get all the pieces back together by myself, so my husband assisted me with this step.

updating an old ceiling fan

Here is the final look!

updating an old ceiling fan

I think it brings a more modern look to this room and it was a cheap and fun project!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/RelentlessFurniture/

• Gloria Symons

Just wonderful! I just spray painted the blades on my old fan, wanted to spray paint the ugly metal color, cross between brass and ?, but husband objected! It looks better but wanted the metal black. Anyways, yours is just great and wish I had seen this sooner but will save for next time!

• Corvina

Show this to your Husband!

*That's how I get what I want (paint, design), done.

I see a project here that I like that would be simple and subtle or even something I can do myself and know he would be, "Eh, I don't know".

Sometimes I can do them without him noticing or, I show him the Hometalk post!

=)

• Kate Baxter

I noticed your fan as a standard light bulb. All my ceiling fans have very low wattage bulbs which is what is recommended. Is it possible to change the wattage on the fans so I can get some light in my livingroom??

• Connie

How can I add a chandelier light fixture to my existing ceiling fan?

• Leslie
    21 hours ago

I like gray, so it's nice. But I would try to find a different shade (or the bulb cover)

• Thelma
    29 minutes ago

Definitely want to do this.