Updating an Old Ceiling Fan

$15

We had an old, out-dated ceiling fan in one of our bedrooms and I wanted(needed) to give it a new look. We could have gone out and bought a new fixture, but I thought it would be more fun and less expensive if I gave it an upgrade. With a little paint and elbow grease, I managed to turn this out-dated ceiling fan into something a bit more modern.

This is the original look - cream colors on the fan and base with shiny brass and gold details on the fan blades.

The first step was to remove all of the easily removeable pieces. The lightbulbs, fan blades, and motor cover. Then I gave everything a thorough cleaning.

I had different colors for the metals pieces, so I removed those from the blades and wiped down all of the pieces.

I didn't like the points at the end of the fan blades, so I used a miter saw to give them a straight edge. Then I sanded each blade to round out the corners and smooth it out.

The fan blades got two coats of Rustoleum Chalked Paint in Aged Gray. The metal pieces got two coats of Rustoleum Metallic Flat Antique Nickel.

I used the same Aged Gray on the base of the ceiling fan. Before I started using the spray paint, I covered everything around and below the fan with plastic. I also made sure to fully open all three windows in that bedroom. It is very important to make sure you have proper ventilation when using spray paint in an enclosed space.

It was tricky to get all the pieces back together by myself, so my husband assisted me with this step.

Here is the final look!

I think it brings a more modern look to this room and it was a cheap and fun project!

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Everything Red For Canada Day
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/RelentlessFurniture/

• Kate Baxter

I noticed your fan as a standard light bulb. All my ceiling fans have very low wattage bulbs which is what is recommended. Is it possible to change the wattage on the fans so I can get some light in my livingroom??

• Sue Brehm Neigel

I replaced my bulbs with daylight LED ones and what a difference! I thought I was going to have to buy a new light fixture for the fan but not now!

• Connie

How can I add a chandelier light fixture to my existing ceiling fan?

• Sarge

Looks great! Have you ever thought of changing out the cover to something more open to get more light? Like a metal "cage" globe?

• I do have a plan to change up the actual light fixture! Not a cage, but something else that will give it an updated look and provide more light. When I finally get that done, I'll definitely share!

• Robyn Garner

Looks great!

• Sue

We had a tiny guest room bathroom that had no window or vent fan so I bought a small size 30" inexpensive ceiling fan like the one in this makeover. I painted all the blades sunny yellow with spray paint. I added beach themed decals on each blade and it was perfect for our decor in Florida. Made a HUGE difference. A small ceiling fan like this is great for in the bathroom to keep the moisture moving and stir up the a/c. Very pleased with mine and yours is also great. I would change your light globe though if it was me. Thanks for sharing,