Replace Grout Along Your Kitchen Counter With Caulk

$15

After 3 years of watching the grout along my kitchen counter top crumble, I finally made time to fix that problem. The general rule is that caulk should be used whenever tile meets a solid surface, like a tub or a counter. Caulk sealant has more flex and holds up longer than grout during little shifts in that area, from heat, cold, water, etc. BUT, luckily, it's a pretty quick fix, most of the time. Watch the video to see how easy it actually is.

replace grout along your kitchen counter with caulk

You can see that the grout between the tile and counter was crumbling away and starting to discolor.

I used a utility knife to carefully scrape away all the old grout. Be extra careful to avoid scratching the tile or counter. You can see how I do this in the video.

Grout will generally pop out pretty quickly, as long as it isn't an unusually thick or deep grout line. Old caulking can be removed the same way, BUT it will take more time and effort to remove.

I used Kwik Seal Plus Sealant because it's easy to use and every plumber that's been to my house lately has been using it. That's a pretty good recommendation in my book.

Use the caulk that matches your counter best. Sometimes clear caulk sealant is the best matching option, especially on dark counters.

You can apply a thin bead of caulk and push it into the joint with a wet finger. Be sure to wipe away any excess caulk before it can dry.

Sometimes you'll need to apply a second coat, after 24 hours. Apply that second coat whenever it looks like you didn't completely fill the joint. You want to make it nice and watertight. Again, you can see how I do this in the video.

I removed the old grout and finished the new caulk for the whole kicthen in less than an hour. Stop by my blog post to see more of my favorite easy DIY home maintenance tips and videos.

Stephanie Abbott

• Ingrid

Do you think it would also be possible to use on the kitchen floor?

• Judy

I keep caulking my bathtub and it peels away in certain areas. What am I doing wrong.

• Stephanie Abbott

Corvina’s answer is great. The only other tip I can think of is drying away any sitting water on a daily basis, to prolong the life of the caulk. Sometimes water sits for days without drying in certain spots, depending on the design and drainage of that area. Years of that will break down the caulk. Clean out the old caulk then definitely let an area dry for a few days before caulking areas with moisture problems.