Bed Transformation

$150
Advanced

Just when I thought I was going to buy a new bed, my husband has a “great” idea that I should try to give our bed a makeover before buying a new bed. I knew I wanted a tufted bed and so my DIY Tufted Bed was born! This has been one of my most fun and favorite DIY projects. I hope you like it as much as I do!

The bed

Meet my old cherry wood sleigh bed, it’s over 25 years old. I knew it was time to buy a new bed because it was so scratched up and worn looking. I was getting ready to purchase a new set when my husband says, “Why don’t you try doing something with it, paint it or something”. “SOMETHING” 😉 I knew I wanted a tufted bed so I decided to give it a try and see if I could manage to give it a nice tufted makeover. It turned out that I loved it and this has to be one of my favorite DIY projects to date 🤗 Let me walk you through this transformation.

But first ☝️Paint!

I used Annie Sloan old white, Paris grey Annie Sloan Clear Wax and Annie Sloan Dark Wax. I first painted the areas of the bed that would not be covered in fabric. The first layer was Old White then I thinned Paris Grey to do my washing technique. If you saw my antique coffee table armoire transformation you’ll know what I mean by a washing technique. Once it was dry, I lightly sanded it to create a distressed look, then I used Annie Sloan Clear Wax over the entire painted areas. Finally, I used Annie Sloan Dark Wax to age areas that I wanted to look old.

The batting

So, since I wasn’t certain how my project would turn out, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on batting 💁🏻‍♀️ It’s expensive! I decided to go to Ross and buy an inexpensive comforter and use it as batting. I didn’t want it super puffy so I purchased one similar to this that wasn’t overly thick. I didn’t care what color it was because I knew it wasn’t going to show. I was going to use a different fabric to upholster it. I wish would have taken a photo of how I applied it but I forgot to sorry!!! I will try my best to explain. I used my bed as a template to cut the comforter to the size that I needed for the areas I was going to cover. I then hot glued the batting/comforter to the area that I wanted to create the tufts. After that, I did the same with my fabric, I glued it over the batting and along the edging of the bed where the batting and bed met. I only did this to ensure the fabrics were secure before I hammered my nail-heads/tacks for the tufts.

Nail-head/tack strips

I used tack strips, they come on a spool, I call them cheat tacks lol 😂 because it saves a lot of time and it looks as if each one is hammered in. It’s great and it was my first time using it! Love it and you only need to hammer every 4 or 5th I believe. Before I started hammering away, I applied a little hot glue, laid the strips over the glue to secure them in place and hammered where I needed to.

Creating the Tufts

Creating the tufts was easy, I started my first row, 10 inches from the end of the head board then 5 inches apart across. The second row, I started 5 inches away from the end and 5 inches across. I alternated until I was down to the bottom. You can create as many tufts as you want depending on the width you choose to separate each tuft.

Tuft Row

A close up of what the tufts look like.

Footboard

I only used the tack strips on my footboard instead of adding more tufts. After I finished the headboard, I decided I liked the footboard without the tufts. In this photo, you can also see how I aged/distressed in certain areas.

Voila 💁🏻‍♀️Tufted Bed

My completed tufted bed transformation and I love it! I truly was winging this project. I had an idea of what I was going to do but my thoughts and vision came about as I worked on the bed. My husband was really happy with it. So much for a brand new bed 🤷🏻‍♀️ If you want to see more of what I do, please follow along with me on IG and thank you for seeing my project. https://www.instagram.com/mycreativekneads/

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized

• Melody Stern

Boy! Isn't that the truth,always something to be done! I just had drywall over paneling and crown moldings installed,what a mess to clean up,my whole house is a powder puff! I'm nearly seventy,getting harder for me!!...Was wondering about your bedding,looks like a gauze/linen type material? ,,,love the look,where on earth did you find it,brand/name?...Thanks a bunch!

• Maria Elena Timmer Jones

Do the tacks show through the wood? What did you do on the inside of footboard? And backside of headboard?

• Irma | mycreativekneads

Hi, no they don’t through the backside of the wood if that’s what you mean and the back of the headboard was also covered with the fabric. Thank you for asking!

• Ida9464

Looks really good. Hubby was right. I do wish you would kindly answer the fabric material questions the lady asked you as I would like to know as well where to buy and what to buy. It’s very nice looking. Thx!

• Irma | mycreativekneads

Hi, I’m still trying to figure out how to read all the comments lol I’m sorry! I bought the fabric from hobby lobby. Thank you so much!

• Kay

I tufted a bench some time ago and learned I should have tufted first in my case. I pulled my fabric fairly taut, stapled around the edges and then tufted, To get the deep tufts I wanted, the tufts were very tight. They eventually pulled out because of the stress exerted when sitting on them.

Love what you did and I have a similar bed that is a good candidate for this type of project.

• Irma | mycreativekneads

Tufts are pesty little things aren’t they lol I always say try try again until I can’t try any more. I hope you do try this on you bed, best of luck 💕

• Sandra Baker

My goodness, what a beautiful job you did! You should be very proud of yourself.

• Irma | mycreativekneads

Thank you for the kind compliment! I don’t think of it like that, I just love diy projects and enjoy watching the transformation. Thank you for appreciating it 💕