Bed Transformation

$150
Advanced

Just when I thought I was going to buy a new bed, my husband has a “great” idea that I should try to give our bed a makeover before buying a new bed. I knew I wanted a tufted bed and so my DIY Tufted Bed was born! This has been one of my most fun and favorite DIY projects. I hope you like it as much as I do!

The bed
The bed

Meet my old cherry wood sleigh bed, it’s over 25 years old. I knew it was time to buy a new bed because it was so scratched up and worn looking. I was getting ready to purchase a new set when my husband says, “Why don’t you try doing something with it, paint it or something”. “SOMETHING” 😉 I knew I wanted a tufted bed so I decided to give it a try and see if I could manage to give it a nice tufted makeover. It turned out that I loved it and this has to be one of my favorite DIY projects to date 🤗 Let me walk you through this transformation.

But first ☝️Paint!
But first ☝️Paint!

I used Annie Sloan old white, Paris grey Annie Sloan Clear Wax and Annie Sloan Dark Wax. I first painted the areas of the bed that would not be covered in fabric. The first layer was Old White then I thinned Paris Grey to do my washing technique. If you saw my antique coffee table armoire transformation you’ll know what I mean by a washing technique. Once it was dry, I lightly sanded it to create a distressed look, then I used Annie Sloan Clear Wax over the entire painted areas. Finally, I used Annie Sloan Dark Wax to age areas that I wanted to look old.

The batting
The batting

So, since I wasn’t certain how my project would turn out, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on batting 💁🏻‍♀️ It’s expensive! I decided to go to Ross and buy an inexpensive comforter and use it as batting. I didn’t want it super puffy so I purchased one similar to this that wasn’t overly thick. I didn’t care what color it was because I knew it wasn’t going to show. I was going to use a different fabric to upholster it. I wish would have taken a photo of how I applied it but I forgot to sorry!!! I will try my best to explain. I used my bed as a template to cut the comforter to the size that I needed for the areas I was going to cover. I then hot glued the batting/comforter to the area that I wanted to create the tufts. After that, I did the same with my fabric, I glued it over the batting and along the edging of the bed where the batting and bed met. I only did this to ensure the fabrics were secure before I hammered my nail-heads/tacks for the tufts.

Nail-head/tack strips
Nail-head/tack strips

I used tack strips, they come on a spool, I call them cheat tacks lol 😂 because it saves a lot of time and it looks as if each one is hammered in. It’s great and it was my first time using it! Love it and you only need to hammer every 4 or 5th I believe. Before I started hammering away, I applied a little hot glue, laid the strips over the glue to secure them in place and hammered where I needed to.

Creating the Tufts
Creating the Tufts

Creating the tufts was easy, I started my first row, 10 inches from the end of the head board then 5 inches apart across. The second row, I started 5 inches away from the end and 5 inches across. I alternated until I was down to the bottom. You can create as many tufts as you want depending on the width you choose to separate each tuft.

Tuft Row
Tuft Row

A close up of what the tufts look like.

Footboard
Footboard

I only used the tack strips on my footboard instead of adding more tufts. After I finished the headboard, I decided I liked the footboard without the tufts. In this photo, you can also see how I aged/distressed in certain areas.

Voila 💁🏻‍♀️Tufted Bed
Voila 💁🏻‍♀️Tufted Bed

My completed tufted bed transformation and I love it! I truly was winging this project. I had an idea of what I was going to do but my thoughts and vision came about as I worked on the bed. My husband was really happy with it. So much for a brand new bed 🤷🏻‍♀️ If you want to see more of what I do, please follow along with me on IG and thank you for seeing my project. https://www.instagram.com/mycreativekneads/

• Joanie

This is a beautiful job. Your tufting is great work.....nice job. I have a sleigh bed almost identical. I think we bought it over 30 years ago. It is still in great shape. I do have a question for you younger goils......lol. You said it was old and you needed something new.......So, my question is.......if it is already old and you want a new one......I think what you mean is you don't want a new one, because it wouldn't look old, but yet when ya have something that is new and you change it, distress it and make it look older......I'm lost. Maybe, you just want to change the LOOK to make it new or old??? heheheh. An Older, Rustic, Farm girl, myself. I try to look younger ......lol.

• Hi, isn’t the “distressed” look the new look 😉 Regardless though, the transformation of the bed was new to me, compared to the previous look. I just have fun changing things up a little. Thank you!

• Monique

Confused about one thing. The headboard had an opening on each side, but it doesn't after the fabric covering!!!??? Beautiful work, girl, even if I'm not into the distressed look.

• Melody Stern

Boy! Isn't that the truth,always something to be done! I just had drywall over paneling and crown moldings installed,what a mess to clean up,my whole house is a powder puff! I'm nearly seventy,getting harder for me!!...Was wondering about your bedding,looks like a gauze/linen type material? ,,,love the look,where on earth did you find it,brand/name?...Thanks a bunch!