Ella
Ella
  • Lexington, KY

Nightstand-My First Project!

This is my first project and am I really pleased how it turned out. I found this nightstand for my daughter on Craig's list for $5. She picked colors and mom did all the work :-).
nightstand my first project, painted furniture

• Anitastalvigdavies

You did such a beautiful job! you have impressed me so much I think I will try my bedroom set, did you have to sand it all down to the wood? could you tell the steps? Thank you so much for sharing.

• Ella

Thank you so much!!! I am very new to painting furniture. I did not sand it all the way. I sanded the top coat only with fine sand paper (I think it was 130) until it was no longer shiny and glossy. Make sure you clean all the dust from sanding before priming. I used Valspar high bonding primer first. This primer is very thick. It covers really good but my brush strokes marks were very visible once primer dried. I had to sand it with fine sand paper (this one was 240) to make brush strokes less visible. I lightly sanded just the top coat. One coat of primer was enough for me. Next I used white Valspar ultra, latex paint in satin finish. I put two coats. I did not sand between coats. Some people do but I did not have to. For finally coat I used minivax polycrylic clear top coat in semi gloss finish. I put two coats. I let each coat of primer, paint, and top coat dry really good before applying the next coat. I let the finishing coat dry for 24 hours before I put the door handles back. I used spray paint in chrome for door handles. I did not do anything else but washed them with soap and water before spray painting them. It took 2 coats to cover the old finish. I let them dry for 24 hours before reattaching them. I hope this helps. Good luck with your bedroom set :-)

• Patricia

The nightstand looks brand new! You did a great job on your first project.