Girls Build Club
Girls Build Club
  • Florissant, CO

Walmart Cup Turns Into Pendant Light!

$10

I found these iridescent cups at Walmart and knew I had to do something with them! So I turned one into a pendant light that hangs from my bedroom ceiling. It wasn't hard at all! I'll show you how I drilled a hole in the bottom of the cup and turned it into my Walmart Cup Pendant Light. haha!

walmart cup turns into pendant light

For full instructions and link to the exact pendant light cord kit I bought on Amazon, click here for the full article on GirlsBuildClub.com.

walmart cup turns into pendant light

Supplies Needed:

1. Drinking Cup / Tumbler
  2. Pendant Light Cord Kit
  3. Drill
  4. Drill Bit
  5. Hole Saw and Arbor
  6. Sand Paper or Sanding Sponge

I already had the tools, which are the most expensive part of this project.

I only bought the cup and pendant light kit, and all that only cost me less than $10.

walmart cup turns into pendant light

First, drill a hole with a regular drill bit. This small hole will give the hole saw arbor something to hold on to, so that it doesn't skate all over the bottom of the cup.

Then you can use the hole saw, as pictured in the photo above, to cut out a hole in the bottom of the cup.

You want the hole to be big enough for the plug of the cord to fit through, but small enough so that the light bulb socket can't slip through.

walmart cup turns into pendant light

The plastic of the cup will get hot from the friction and probably melt a bit. I just kept on cutting until I made it through. However the hole was not perfect, and the melted plastic hardened into little blobs around the hole.

I sanded it down and smoothed out the edge of the hole with a sanding sponge.

And picked off some of the hardened bits of melted plastic.

Don't worry too much about getting the appearance of the hole perfect, as it will all be hidden when it's hanging above your head as a pendant light.

walmart cup turns into pendant light

Now string your light cord through the hole you've created.

walmart cup turns into pendant light

Screw on a light bulb that is safe for use in this situation, with this kind of covering.

You don't want it getting too hot inside that plastic cup, so do your due diligence in choosing a light bulb for this project.

walmart cup turns into pendant light

Before you can hang the light, you must set the hook in the ceiling.

You can adjust how low the pendant light hangs with that plastic tab in the photo above.

walmart cup turns into pendant light

What do you think? Does it look like it was made from a drinking cup?

walmart cup turns into pendant light

All in all this took about 1 hour. Pretty fast!

Drill the hole and sand it down.

String the cord through the cup.

Set your hook in the ceiling.

Turn on your new light!

Easy-peasy!

walmart cup turns into pendant light

I'm a sucker for this iridescent color that shines through. Isn't it fun?

If you'd like to see more diy projects from me then sign up for my newsletter by clicking here!

You'll be re-directed to the Girls Build Club blog where you can fill in your email address.

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment or question and let me know what you thought!

Thanks,

Liesell @GirlsBuildClub.com

Girls Build Club

• Susie Bickmore

Would a light like a candle shape be better to keep the cup itself from getting warm?? I like that..

• Jo

LED. Be the best choice for this project as it does not get warm

• Lynn Durkin

Will the light bulb not get to hot and melt

• Girls Build Club

Hi Lynn! Depends on the bulb you select. You'll want something small enough and very low energy so it doesn't emit much heat. Choose wisely! :)

• Pam
    Yesterday

I was wondering about the heat melting the plastic and then read that it did. Now I'm wondering about it being a fire hazard if unattended. Also, the idea of seeing half of 1/3 of a bare bulb isn't appealing - maybe a little LED or something like that, that stays inside the cup, would be preferable?

• Angela

Thanks for the inexpensive new look idea I'm thinking of trying in my daughter's room!!👍😊

• Kara
    An hour ago

I really like your spin on that, I have that whole set from Walmart you gave me some great ideas. Thanks :) Also if people are worried about the bulb, I believe they make bulbs of all sizes that don't get hot. I have two different sizes of small bulbs that are a soft yellow and it doesn't get hot.

Great Job!