Bedroom Set Makeover Fit For a Princess

$100

The before of this set was just a typical factory finish from the 1950s that had seen better days. The paint was old and tired looking after being used for the better part of 65+ years. I would say it definitely deserved a makeover that brought happiness to another family.

Well we have all seen these beautiful bedroom sets. They have tons of storage and lovely curvy details but are sadly worn down after years of use. I prepped this by scrubbing it down with a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and water. After rinsing, I let it dry overnight. The next day, I scuff sanded with 220 grit sandpaper and removed the dust with a microfiber cloth. To get into those molding details, I used a toothbrush to remove the dust.

After it was all clean, I primed with Zinsser Shellac Based Bin. I find the spray can is really easy to work with. Light spraying works best. After priming I lightly sanded any rough spots down and removed the dust again.

Finally - it was ready to paint!

I used Heirloom Traditions French Toile which is the perfect light blue on the entire piece as the base coat. For the first coat, I used the stippping method of lightly patting on the paint with a sponge applicator rather than long strokes with a brush. For the second coat, I used a synthetic bristle brush for a flawless smooth finish.

I lightly sanded in between coats with 1000 grit sandpaper, making sure to remove any sanding dust in between.

Next, I used Fusion Mineral Paints in Metallic Gold to highlight the details. I used a small artist brush to lightly brush across the raised parts and in between the drawers where they meet to add some dimension.

After cleaning the handles, I scuff sanded and painted using the same base coat and a small artist brush. I then highlighted the handles using rub and buff in gold to pull together the gold kissed highlights.

They really shine now! After I finished the handles up, I sealed them with a flat matte polycrylic spray. This paint has a built in top coat so I did not need to seal the dresser separately.

Here she is! All madeover and fit for a princess!

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?

To see more: //Instagram.com/Aminidesignashburn

• Becky Salomone

Can I use chalk paint on a old French provencial chest?

• Amini Design Ashburn

You absolutely can! Just make sure to clean and I always scuff sand first even with chalk paint

• Karen

what is scuff sanding

• Amini Design Ashburn

Scuff sanding is lightly roughing up the outer layer to get the surface ready to accept paint or gel stain. It also help to smooth out any small surface imperfections.

• Carolyn rogers

Do the mirror to match??

• Lora Taylor Hyatt

Gorgeous!

I love how you changed the layout of the hardware too, balanced it out and looks so much better!

I’m such a sucker for this era of furniture, just reminds me of my childhood I guess!

• Valerie Burge

That turned out so beautiful!!!

• Sue

I remember that these sets in white came out in the 1960s. I bought one for my daughter and still have it, like new. THis is the most gorgeous one I have ever seen and so ornate. I LOVE it. I think the way yo changed the drawers order is the way it originally was, but what a job you did on it. I would love to have that set myself. Thanks for sharing it with us.