Bedroom Set Makeover Fit For a Princess

$100

The before of this set was just a typical factory finish from the 1950s that had seen better days. The paint was old and tired looking after being used for the better part of 65+ years. I would say it definitely deserved a makeover that brought happiness to another family.

bedroom set makeover fit for a princess

Well we have all seen these beautiful bedroom sets. They have tons of storage and lovely curvy details but are sadly worn down after years of use. I prepped this by scrubbing it down with a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and water. After rinsing, I let it dry overnight. The next day, I scuff sanded with 220 grit sandpaper and removed the dust with a microfiber cloth. To get into those molding details, I used a toothbrush to remove the dust.

After it was all clean, I primed with Zinsser Shellac Based Bin. I find the spray can is really easy to work with. Light spraying works best. After priming I lightly sanded any rough spots down and removed the dust again.

Finally - it was ready to paint!

bedroom set makeover fit for a princess

I used Heirloom Traditions French Toile which is the perfect light blue on the entire piece as the base coat. For the first coat, I used the stippping method of lightly patting on the paint with a sponge applicator rather than long strokes with a brush. For the second coat, I used a synthetic bristle brush for a flawless smooth finish.

I lightly sanded in between coats with 1000 grit sandpaper, making sure to remove any sanding dust in between.

Next, I used Fusion Mineral Paints in Metallic Gold to highlight the details. I used a small artist brush to lightly brush across the raised parts and in between the drawers where they meet to add some dimension.

bedroom set makeover fit for a princess

After cleaning the handles, I scuff sanded and painted using the same base coat and a small artist brush. I then highlighted the handles using rub and buff in gold to pull together the gold kissed highlights.

bedroom set makeover fit for a princess

They really shine now! After I finished the handles up, I sealed them with a flat matte polycrylic spray. This paint has a built in top coat so I did not need to seal the dresser separately.

bedroom set makeover fit for a princess

Here she is! All madeover and fit for a princess!

To see more: //Instagram.com/Aminidesignashburn