Accent Wall + Headboard

$125

This slat accent wall + headboard is super affordable and an easy DIY project done in just a few hours.

Instructions:

1. Find the studs you’re going to attach the eight-foot vertical boards to. The studs were four feet apart which means there will be a foot of the horizontal board hangover on each side. Our bedroom ceilings are nine feet tall so I had to cut two, one-foot pieces from the third board. Use wood screws to attach the vertical boards that go from floor to ceiling.
  2. Start at the ceiling with the five-inch header board. Attach the header board with the brad nail gun. Make sure to measure a foot of hang-off on each side of the vertical board. All your other boards will line up with this one.
  3. Use a 1.5” board on it’s side as the spacer board between each horizontal board. There is .75” of space in between each board – it’s aesthetically pleasing and easy to do by using a board you already have. I used a ruler to line up the ends of the horizontal boards.
  4. The pattern I followed was: small - small - big - small – big. Once you get going and in a groove, it goes really quick. Before you start, line up your boards in the pattern you choose. Also be sure to look over each board and make sure the best side of the board is the one showing when you install it. Avoid buying bowed boards.
  5. Once I got to the bottom, I decided to use a three-inch board because it covered the end of my vertical boards best and it worked as a cap to finish the accent wall. It overlaps my baseboard a bit, but I like the finished look it creates.
  6. If you don’t want the brad nail marks to show, you can use wood filler. I personally like the look of the nail marks. You can also run a bead of white caulk to finish the connection between the header board and ceiling. I decided not to, but it is an option.

Tools:

3 – 1.5” x 8’ pine boards (these are the vertical boards)

1 – 5” x 6’ pine board (this is the header board at the ceiling)

1- 3” x 6’ pine board (this is the bottom board that overlaps the baseboard)

22 – 1.5” x 6’ pine boards (referenced as small boards)

15 – 2.5” x 6’ pine boards (referenced as big boards)

brad nail gun and 2” nails

electric screw driver/drill and wood screws

stud finder

level

ladder

I scooted the bed over just enough to squeeze a ladder in there, but you don't need too much space to work in.

After locating the studs, I pre-drilled through the pine board and into the sheet rock and stud. I also had to adjust the torque on the drill so that I didn't strip the screw. Pre-drilling and adjusting the torque help the wood screw to go in clean and quick.

I'm getting the five inch wide header board in place - measuring the hang-off on each side to make sure the board is centered.

I'm half way done! You can see the spacer board - it's on it's side between the slats. Once I nail in this side, I can just pull out the spacer board and move it down to add space again.

If you layout your boards and make sure the side showing looks good and the boards aren't bowed, you can install them very quickly with the brad nail gun.

I removed the headboard from her current bed and just pushed it up to the new slat accent wall. It doubles as a headboard and looks so grand going from floor to ceiling.

We brightened things up with a new comforter from Target and some white linen curtains from Home Goods. The new light color scheme and softness looks so great with the organic and natural accent wall.

Our teen loves her new $125 headboard! And we love the wall accent - it completely elevates this simple small bedroom.

2.5" x 6' select pine boards
1.5 " x 8' select pine boards - three

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Amy Wadsworth

• Kim

I wanted a headboard to keep my pillows from falling between bed and wall. Constantly pushing the mattress back against the wall and want the look as well of a headboard

• Bill Duke

I have a king size bed and a vaulted ceiling; but I like this look. Do I just get longer boards? And would I only take it up about eight feet.

• Kim Brandt

How do you dust behind it?

• Amy Wadsworth

Great question! I've been checking the slats for dust and I'm not seeing any, but a quick pass of a Swiffer duster gives me peace of mind! We treat the outside of our home for pests, so no spider webs either.

• Amber Learned

Really great idea. Got me thinking about doing this,or something like this. Have a few bare walls I need to decorate and was going to add bamboo for one of them, and this would be a perfect fit. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

• Alee Santiago

So going to try this ! Absolutely beautiful