Asked on Sep 2, 2019

How do I clean my rug from cat urine/ deodorize the air from the odor?

JanetJoyKathleen
+4

I've had issue with cat pee smell in house even though cats not peeing only in their boxes which have tops. They are cleaned 2xs a week. I use a mix of litters Sams Club and Fresh Step. Also one of my rugs may have been peed on. It is an area rug. Any ideas for the rug cleaning?

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Vinegar will usually help remove the smell. Enzyme products used first, will help, also. If possible, I take rugs outside to air dry. A layer of baking soda can help odor, in the litter box. If you mean you scoop twice a week, I've found daily scooping works best for odor control. Litter controls odor longer with daily scooping. Once I started that, we no longer had "accidents ".

• Gk
    Gk

Use an enzyme cleaner for pet odors and stains. Natures Miracle is one brand. Can be found in the pet section of many big box stores like Menards and WalMart. I think the enzyme cleaner works better than vinegar to remove the odors. You have to follow the directions because the product needs to stay moist for a certain period of time. It is suggested on the bottle that you try this product before using any other product.

• Diann Hollen
    Diann Hollen

I use Sniper Hospital Disinfectant and Odor Eliminator. It has removed every smell I've used it on and it is non-toxic. https://www.nokout.com/ and it is also available on Amazon.

• PJnabors
    PJnabors

I've found my cats do not like scented litter so I only use unscented with a little baking soda sprinkled in. Cats are so finicky!

• Kathleen
    Kathleen

You need to scoop every day. There are products out there that remove pee and pee smell. Check Amazon.

• Joy
    Joy

Breathe Green charcoal bags, available online, have worked very well to deodorize the air in my home after my daughter, granddaughter and their 4 🐈 moved out. They last indefinitely because rejuvenate once a month in the sun. They are fragrance free, also help remove mold and mildew.

• Janet
    Janet

Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents.

Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home! A herbal mixture of sorts! I now recommend it to everyone because it works so freakin' well and we save SOO much money!

You should definitely check it out, we don't even buy Odorban and the likes any longer :)

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and for a decent price as well.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

To be honest, I don't know too much more about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a description of the spray with a long review as well.

No I have not been paid for this post nor do I make any commissions off of it. I really just want to help you guys out. I hope you don't mind.

I'm based in Sweden, by the way, so you should be able to get it too.

Good luck with the odor! It really lowers your quality of life, doesn't it?