Asked on Sep 2, 2019

How can I paint an upholstered chair that has wood legs and arms?

Maura WhiteAngieLana Hassell
+15

Want to paint first timer! Any advice??

• Mememe
    Mememe

just use denatured alcohol (small amount on rag), it will take out scratch marks and old wood cleaners. Then use stain close to the color *but doesn't have to be exact* then let it dry several hours. Then use polyurethane (clear) with small paint brush to seal then minwax but let it dry for 2 days or more. I did this in my entire wood kitchen cupboards and my paneling and looks much better.

• Emily
    Emily

I think you are asking about painting the fabric? If so I would not advise doing so on a chair with such deep folds.

• Lana Hassell
    Lana Hassell

Hi Debbie, I am sorry , but I don't have an answer about painting your chair. My question is , have you considered having the chair reupholstered? That chair is beautiful and I agree with Emily to not paint the chair. Those folds, I think, will not be conducive to being painted. 🌹💖😘

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi Debbie,

I agree, Don't paint, reupholster or have a stretch cover made or even a loose cover.

• Joanie
    Joanie

My opinion? I think I would love to have that chair JUST the WAY it is...it is beautiful!!

• Dmotan
    Dmotan

It won't hurt to try. In fact, I would paint the wood a slightly darker color than the paint for the fabric. Paint fabric first, let it dry then paint all the wood. If it does't work, then strip and reupholster, but leave wood painted. If reupholstering, I would take out the folds in the back as it would look so chic.

• Gerri Haumschild
    Gerri Haumschild

I would paint the fabric. I did an upholstered headboard that had some curves and it took 9 coats but was stunning when finished. It felt like vinyl when I was done. I did it in glitter for the last 3 coats. Whats the worst that can happen?

• Lana Hassell
    Lana Hassell

Hi, Debbie,

It's me again. You seem to be inundated with advice, pro and con about painting your beautiful chair. I have just one more comment. I think that if you paint the chair, that it would be very, very difficult to completely cover the folds, especially down in the creases. Okay, I will quit. LOL. I hope you have good luck no matter which way you choose. Send us a picture when you finish if you would please. Thanks. 🌹💖😘

• Debbie Kohan
      Debbie Kohan

Thank you, I’m taking it all in...! Not sure what I will do yet, but appreciate all the input!

• Angie
    Angie

I would definitely paint it!

• Maura White
    Maura White
    Just now

Use the technique here: https://www.hometalk.com/15966405/painted-upholstered-chair and just cover the wood with painters tape.